PDA

View Full Version : Allard speaks on possible PS3 upgrades

frosty
10-08-2005, 01:35 AM
An interesting read:

"And if they are a little nervous and that they're looking at what we've done and said, "Hey, for the things we're not quite finished with, we're going to do them better. You know, we inspire to do more as a result of Microsoft being in the market."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6135302.html

Garfunkel
10-08-2005, 02:15 AM
whares the part about the upgrades?

Illmatic
10-08-2005, 02:19 AM
What did the title and the quote you posted have to do with the PS3?

The only thing that comes up in that interview regarding the PS3 is this:

Q: How do you think the competition is reacting to the 360 launch?

JA: I hope that Sony's nervous right now, honestly, because the launch lineup looks great. They've shown two really good movies and a picture of a console that doesn't have any ventilation holes in it yet. I mean, if [you look at] their list of claims versus their list of proof, there's a big, big gap there to close between now and spring of 2006. So, if I was in Sony's shoes, I'm a little nervous now because our lineup looks great. Our hardware's the same. We got to kick ass on that and service--it just got better. Our media support is really, really good and we got the design right. If I'm [Sony Computer Entertainment president] Mr. [Ken] Kutaragi, I've got a lot of work to do between now and spring, but hopefully attending the worldwide launch thing is another thing I'd be thinking about. Hopefully, that's all goodness. Hopefully, it's spurring the Sony team and they're saying, "We've got to get serious about online. No more rhetoric. Let's go about our service. Let's go buy somebody. Let's go buy somebody else. Let's go get serious about it." And when they bought SM Systems, God bless them. If my GDC keynote contributed to Sony having better tools on PlayStation so developers could be better on PlayStation, [so they] could focus more on games, God bless them. That's a good thing, you know. If they're embarrassed by their controller design as a result of having played with our wireless gamepad and they make a better toy, God bless them. It's good for the industry. I hope that it's healthy competition.

And if they are a little nervous and that they're looking at what we've done and said, "Hey, for the things we're not quite finished with, we're going to do them better. You know, we inspire to do more as a result of Microsoft being in the market." That's what I hope they're doing and I hope they're not being complacent and saying, "Hey, we got a great brand. We got a great couple of franchises. We're unstoppable because we've had two rounds." I hope they're not doing that. I hope they're going to put up a real good fight for position number one because if they do, consumers benefit and it will grow that market. That's what I really want.

I found ^ quite funny, i still havn't seen anything that's been shown on the X360 that would cause Sony to be nervous :laugh:

Junox50
10-08-2005, 02:38 AM
What did the title and the quote you posted have to do with the PS3?

The only thing that comes up in that interview regarding the PS3 is this:

I found ^ quite funny, i still havn't seen anything that's been shown on the X360 that would cause Sony to be nervous :laugh:

I agree. I don't understand why Allard and the others keep acting like online play is the biggest factor when it comes to gaming. It simply isnt and the sales of the Xbox versus the number of Xbox live subcribed users proves that.

Sony has nothing to worry about, and I find it hilarious how in every interview they refer to Sony being scared when it was Sony whose been stealing most of the show at every event and showing.

frosty
10-08-2005, 02:41 AM
"And if they are a little nervous and that they're looking at what we've done and said, "Hey, for the things we're not quite finished with, we're going to do them better. You know, we inspire to do more as a result of Microsoft being in the market."

Sorry, copied and pasted wrong part of article

frosty
10-08-2005, 02:42 AM
I figured he may be referring to an RSX upgrade or something along those lines,

Saibo
10-08-2005, 02:47 AM
"Let's go buy somebody" LOL..i found that funny, and typical Microsoft. and in some ways, AutoDesk(they recently bought Alias(Maya) in cash).

frosty
10-08-2005, 02:48 AM
yeah, forget about innovation, just let someone else do it and buy them (halo)

Garfunkel
10-08-2005, 03:36 AM
exactly minisoft deosn't have the brains or guts to do anything themselvs the whole crappy company is eating out of billy goat's wallet.

Sony has nothing to warry about, this is just a sign of weakness from allard

Domination
10-08-2005, 04:15 AM
An interesting read:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6135302.html

http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/happy/laugh2.gif http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/happy/laugh2.gif http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/happy/laugh2.gif

That was one hilarious interview! There is so much I want to comment on, but it would be too lenthy to write right now. I'll just comment on them as they come, I guess.

Domination
10-08-2005, 04:29 AM
"Let's go buy somebody" LOL..i found that funny, and typical Microsoft. and in some ways, AutoDesk(they recently bought Alias(Maya) in cash).

This one really made me laugh out loud. He probably had a little grin on his face when he said that, too.http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/happy/biglaugh2.gif

Infernal
10-08-2005, 04:59 AM
I find it pathetic how microsoft keeps saying sony should be nervous. If thats the case then why is it that microsoft talks more about the PS3 than sony does themselves? I think their the ones on the defensive here, not sony and their just talking about themselves like always.

KiLLA2006
10-08-2005, 05:00 AM
Q: What do you think of suggestions that the Xbox 360 isn't enough of a departure from the Xbox?

JA: It is an interesting question. Do they want it to be a holographic experience that you play in your bathtub? We could have made it different. Different in this case is not necessarily better. What we've tried to do is actually build off what's been successful historically and say, "Look, the categories of games, our core games, we're going to have those covered." We're going to have sports and racing. We're going to have fighting. We're going to have role-playing games early on. We're going to have appropriate content in all markets. The shooter category, which, if you were talking to me five years ago, we would have said, "What are you doing with first-person shooters on your console? These are crappy PC ports. It's a really bad idea." Many people had that opinion. And now, of course, first-person shooters are a very big category. I think that we are doing some breakthrough stuff: what we're doing with Xbox Live Arcade, what we're doing with the integration of media, the ambition that we have on high definition, the commitment that we have to wireless. While the other guys have announced wireless as well, the fact remains we're still the first console that's ever shipped with a wireless radio out of the box and world-class audio with wireless controllers. So, I think we've taken the very best for gamers and made it better and I think we've taken the best innovations with it. Whether it's Live or whether it's voice or whether it's Live Arcade and integrating or deepening the system and connecting out to the media, stuff is what gamers want.

So is my cell phone the same thing but not a different thing? Yes, it is, but I'm glad it's got a colored screen. I love text messaging, and the camera I can't live without. But it's really nice that it connects with my schedule. At the end of the day, it's still a thing I use to make phone calls with and I still call the same people. But, heck, it's a lot better. It's next generation. If I compare it to the first cell phone I had, it's a whole world different. And if you go too far and you say, "I'm going to change the category out completely and we're going to give you a wacky controller. And we're going to give you wacky games that you don't really understand, and we're going to market it or price it in a wacky way, I think that would have been very much a failing."

this is so stupid what J Allard said, i could barely understand it so i just stopped reading after the cell phone part, great question though

Domination
10-08-2005, 05:05 AM
yeah, forget about innovation, just let someone else do it and buy them (halo)

When I read this part:

JA: I hope that Sony's nervous right now, honestly, because the launch lineup looks great. They've shown two really good movies and a picture of a console that doesn't have any ventilation holes in it yet. I mean, if [you look at] their list of claims versus their list of proof, there's a big, big gap there to close between now and spring of 2006. So, if I was in Sony's shoes, I'm a little nervous now because our lineup looks great. Our hardware's the same. We got to kick ass on that and service--it just got better. Our media support is really, really good and we got the design right. If I'm [Sony Computer Entertainment president] Mr. [Ken] Kutaragi, I've got a lot of work to do between now and spring, but hopefully attending the worldwide launch thing is another thing I'd be thinking about. Hopefully, that's all goodness. Hopefully, it's spurring the Sony team and they're saying, "We've got to get serious about online. No more rhetoric. Let's go about our service. Let's go buy somebody. Let's go buy somebody else. Let's go get serious about it." And when they bought SM Systems, God bless them. If my GDC keynote contributed to Sony having better tools on PlayStation so developers could be better on PlayStation, [so they] could focus more on games, God bless them. That's a good thing, you know. If they're embarrassed by their controller design as a result of having played with our wireless gamepad and they make a better toy, God bless them. It's good for the industry. I hope that it's healthy competition.

....what you said is exactly what i was thinking. In his words, "It's good for the industry," and that's true. But coming from him, it makes me think about something else very much related, and no it isn't Halo neither.

This is another thing I have been asking myself when it was first announced at TGS, and it was a damn good question at that:

Q: Is there a concern that other companies would update the software on their products like the iPod or the PSP to make them incompatible with the Xbox 360?

JA: You know, you can't worry about stuff like that. [We're with the] consumer to the end on this one and anybody in my company that thought it was a bad idea for us to plug in Sony devices or Apple devices into this thing, I ended that conversation pretty quickly. I said, "This is the right thing to do for consumers." You know, once they've invested $500 for a digital media library, you can't ask them to go buy a 360 music player and a 360 digital camera and--no. They got their stuff. They're going to want to plug it in. We're going to be open here, guys. And if anything, I wish we could be more collaborative with the other companies that are doing those things. And if Sony or Apple called me up and they say, "Hey, we want to do some specific stuff with 360," I'm on it. I think it would not be in anyone's interest to say we're not going to work with 360. I think it's good for them and I think it's good for us. I think it's good for the consumers.
[Apple CEO] Steve [Jobs] asked me for one when this thing comes out. "I want to get one of these things. It's pretty cool." And I was like, "You didn't give me much of a break on those 7,000 G5s we bought from you, you know. We'll ship as many as you want, full retail, baby." No, that's not true. Apple was a good partner with the development kit program. So, I don't think it's pro-consumer to do anything like that. I think it's a silly thing to fight over.

The way I see it, unless you have an absolute solid plan intact incase somthing like this came along (Sony & Nintendo), it is something I would have kep out of the same light that I was hyping. It comes off as misleading- especially concerning close competition, I think. And honestly, I believe Sony will update the PSP to where it won't be compatible with the 360, not to hurt Microsoft, but to prevent any open doors for the handheld to be hacked.

Junox50
10-08-2005, 06:00 AM
this is so stupid what J Allard said, i could barely understand it so i just stopped reading after the cell phone part, great question though

Yeah, I couldnt understand what he was talking about.

PhYmon
10-08-2005, 07:14 AM
This is dude is sad, first saying that THEY Microsoft INSPIRED Sony! HAHAHAHA, and who is Allard J. to talk about the PS3?? first of all, He's the guy who said a some time ago at G4 that it doesnt matter how powerful a console can be its all about the gameplay, yes the same guy how said that the have the most powerful console; and now he came and say that they inspired Sony to better! COME ON!!

D3adcell
10-08-2005, 07:30 AM
He didn't say they inspired sony, but that becuase of what they showed maybe they got some ideas to make their product better. Which lets be honest they probably did. The only thing sony has to be afraid of is losing market share. I think that the xbox360 is going to have a much bigger audience then the original xbox did, most places are already out of pre-orders on the system, its got some great games too that people without a gaming pc aren't going to be able to play (oblivion, call of duty 2, quake 4). I know most of you think that the ps3 is going to graphically blow the xbox360 out of the water. I'm sure the visuals will be better, but its not going to be like NES to SNES. It's going to be more like PS2 to Xbox, it all depends on how the developers use the hardware. Although the xbox is the more powerful system I have seen ps2 games that are better looking then some xbox games. Until sony gets closer to launch and actually has systems with games to demo etc I wouldn't be so quick to believe everything about it. The ps3 however could be alot better as far as having larger games do to blu ray. But I wouldn't be too judgemental yet.

CrumCon
10-08-2005, 07:35 AM
Why they keeps saying their hardware are the same as Sony's one (PS3) ??

Didnt they say theirs were better weeks ago?
You guys remember right when they talked about Cell, that its not as usefull for games as X360 CPU? And their GPU is more powerful over RSX because of its Unified shaders?

it's funny tho

And what do they know about PS3 line ups? When games were shown at E3, we didnt even know those games were in developement. lol and YES all the folks shocked and Sony won E3 battle.. and again, they won TGS battle with MGS real-time show

Garfunkel
10-08-2005, 07:47 AM
what i find realy stupid about the whole mgs4 thing is that xbots (when it was first shown) said that it was fake and CGI (which every game accually is) and then when they proved that it was real time the xbots turn and say "it's not gameplay" ... oh well some people you just cannot please.

D3adcell
10-08-2005, 07:51 AM
what i find realy stupid about the whole mgs4 thing is that xbots (when it was first shown) said that it was fake and CGI (which every game accually is) and then when they proved that it was real time the xbots turn and say "it's not gameplay" ... oh well some people you just cannot please.

yet (lets make up a word here) psybots like to say the xbox 360 is barely an improvement over the original. Should be that nobody talks shit about either until you have both side by side at home and compare them, wether it be graphics, games, whatever. Poeple from both sides like to put down a console to make theirs look good (xbots and sony fanboys both).

woundingchaney
10-08-2005, 11:40 AM
Hey I got a brand new idea for the forum lets post an MS article then demean and belittle it. Yeah that sounds great wounding.

Glacier
10-08-2005, 12:02 PM
well u can't help it when their interviews sound like kids talk. do these people really work for ms? it is hard ti imagine company officials acting so silly.

another thing, WTF does Allard mean the ps3 model doesn't even have ventilation holes? did he even see the thing? the whole left side of it looks like a sieve from all the ventilation. when standing it looks like a chimney, lol.

masonite
10-08-2005, 12:25 PM
well u can't help it when their interviews sound like kids talk. do these people really work for ms? it is hard ti imagine company officials acting so silly.

another thing, WTF does Allard mean the ps3 model doesn't even have ventilation holes? did he even see the thing? the whole left side of it looks like a sieve from all the ventilation. when standing it looks like a chimney, lol.

the model shown at E3 earlier did not have any ventilation holes. allard is yet to grasp the idea of a "concept" design.....

Garfunkel
10-08-2005, 12:37 PM
hey i like that, psybots, cool

good point masonite but you never know, it could be watercooled, well i can dream can't i.

Glacier
10-08-2005, 12:48 PM
i don't follow. i just looked at the e3 video again, both the pictures they showed on the huge screen and the prototype models (where ken lifts one of them) all have ventilation wholes. oh, and they are on the right side not the left.

woundingchaney
10-08-2005, 12:57 PM

It was just a joke man.

Glacier
10-08-2005, 01:12 PM
no worries. i was generally speaking. :)

woundingchaney
10-08-2005, 01:23 PM
I find it pathetic how microsoft keeps saying sony should be nervous. If thats the case then why is it that microsoft talks more about the PS3 than sony does themselves? I think their the ones on the defensive here, not sony and their just talking about themselves like always.

MS reps are usually questioned about the PS3, they respond in kind. MS is really in the spotlight right now and they are being very vocal on their hardware, competition, franchises, online plan, and options associated with the 360. However, every time there is an interview its posted on the forum and like pirahnas we attempt to chew it apart, take it out of context, and apply slogans like "sign of weakness" or "childish behaiviour".

As far as online gaming, I really look for it to be a major part of the evolution of console gaming and Im sure Sony is considering this as well.

As far as Sony being nervous, of course they are nervous, the PS is their cash cow. With MS coming on strong they have ever reason to be nervous, but you had better believe that MS is nervous as well, really if they dont see profit this gen then they could go under with shareholders pulling the plug on the Xbox brand (I dont see this happening, but Im sure it is a concern). I believe that MS stands an excellent chance to gain ground on Sony (as far as console and game sales.

rpgamer_2k5
10-08-2005, 01:31 PM
*Yawn* Like this doesn't occur elsewhere. Who cares if one posts an MS interview pertaining to Microsoft. I really do see worse elsewhere, hence the mindset of many; ie. PS3 particle effects thread, etc.

Glacier
10-08-2005, 02:06 PM
" MS is nervous as well, really if they dont see profit this gen then they could go under with shareholders pulling the plug on the Xbox brand (I dont see this happening, but Im sure it is a concern)"

it is a huge concerne. ms lost 5 billion on xbox whith zero profit. absolutely nothing. how happy you think shareholders and investors are about that? how do you think they will act is 360 performs even remotely close to xbox?
ms is so worried that they are making all the interviews, advertisment, hype they can muster. heck they need to constantly repeat that ps3 is nothing to worry about. they need to compare every little detail to ps3.
acting bully shows insecurity

woundingchaney
10-08-2005, 02:08 PM
" MS is nervous as well, really if they dont see profit this gen then they could go under with shareholders pulling the plug on the Xbox brand (I dont see this happening, but Im sure it is a concern)"

ms is so worried that they are making all the interviews, advertisment, hype they can muster. heck they need to constantly repeat that ps3 is nothing to worry about. they need to compare every little detail to ps3.
acting bully shows insecurity
Perhaps you could tell me how this differs from Kuturagi's statements on the 360.

rpgamer_2k5
10-08-2005, 02:20 PM
Glacier: Xbox 360 does not need graphics. If Xbox fans love Xbox then they wouldn't care about the graphics. PSX and PS2 was great, even though graphics was not on its side. Xbox 360 has Blue Dragon, Halo 3, Ninja Gaiden, Magna Carta 2, Lost Odyssey, etc. MS has a good number of first-party and exclusive games under them; it seems like they will attain profit this time. PS2 is a heck lot more profitable than the Xbox (both software and hardware-wise), even though much weaker.

I still stand by my claim, though. PS3 is superior to the Xbox 360 visually. :)

Glacier
10-08-2005, 03:08 PM
"Perhaps you could tell me how this differs from Kuturagi's statements on the 360."
not just one person, but sony as a whole aren't even near talking about the competition as ms is. notice i said 'talking' as not all the few statements are 'bullish' as some sites claim.

the other difference is that ms was until resently claiming 360 to be the most powerful console even it is hillarious that ATI said even consoles and pcs coming 10 years from now won't Be as powerful. now they say 'about' the same when they still say games like doa, pdz, etc. look next gen.

Domination
10-08-2005, 05:21 PM
He didn't say they inspired sony, but that becuase of what they showed maybe they got some ideas to make their product better. Which lets be honest they probably did. The only thing sony has to be afraid of is losing market share. I think that the xbox360 is going to have a much bigger audience then the original xbox did, most places are already out of pre-orders on the system, its got some great games too that people without a gaming pc aren't going to be able to play (oblivion, call of duty 2, quake 4). I know most of you think that the ps3 is going to graphically blow the xbox360 out of the water. I'm sure the visuals will be better, but its not going to be like NES to SNES. It's going to be more like PS2 to Xbox, it all depends on how the developers use the hardware. Although the xbox is the more powerful system I have seen ps2 games that are better looking then some xbox games. Until sony gets closer to launch and actually has systems with games to demo etc I wouldn't be so quick to believe everything about it. The ps3 however could be alot better as far as having larger games do to blu ray. But I wouldn't be too judgemental yet.

I just had to comment on this. It is true that a small number of PS2 games looked better than some Xbox games while some are equally the same. But let's get something straight, Microsoft is not Sony and Sony is not Microsoft. Just because you saw this with the PS2 does not guarantee that you can see it with the 360.

woundingchaney
10-08-2005, 05:53 PM
I just had to comment on this. It is true that a small number of PS2 games looked better than some Xbox games while some are equally the same. But let's get something straight, Microsoft is not Sony and Sony is not Microsoft. Just because you saw this with the PS2 does not guarantee that you can see it with the 360.
Good point, in all reality a PS2 to Xbox is not really a good comparison. I look more along the lines of a GC to Xbox comparison in this next gen.

tazz3
10-08-2005, 06:18 PM
J.Allard talks out of his butt all the time.
Sony is not scared.
plus the 360 has a really bad launch line up of games.
the xbox 1 had a better line up.
when the PS3 launches it will be lights out for the 360

Helios
10-08-2005, 06:43 PM
Glacier: Xbox 360 does not need graphics. If Xbox fans love Xbox then they wouldn't care about the graphics. PSX and PS2 was great, even though graphics was not on its side. Xbox 360 has Blue Dragon, Halo 3, Ninja Gaiden, Magna Carta 2, Lost Odyssey, etc. MS has a good number of first-party and exclusive games under them; it seems like they will attain profit this time. PS2 is a heck lot more profitable than the Xbox (both software and hardware-wise), even though much weaker.

I still stand by my claim, though. PS3 is superior to the Xbox 360 visually. :)

But thats exactly the thing, in the past whenever I would discuss(or at least try) the differences and the prons/cons of xbox and ps2 on a range of other forums graphical superiority or the xbox always came up. So if there's one thing I learned from them is that outside the rabid Halo fans only a handful of people love the xbox because of the brand name, everyone else seems to be in it for the more powerful hardware.

So Imo the 360 does need graphics because unlike the PS/PS2 scenario it doesnt really have this long line of well established franchises.

Darkon
10-08-2005, 07:22 PM
J.Allard talks out of his butt all the time.
Sony is not scared.
plus the 360 has a really bad launch line up of games.
the xbox 1 had a better line up.
when the PS3 launches it will be lights out for the 360

wow ...... fanboyism is strong in this one

Domination
10-08-2005, 07:23 PM
MS reps are usually questioned about the PS3, they respond in kind. MS is really in the spotlight right now and they are being very vocal on their hardware, competition, franchises, online plan, and options associated with the 360. However, every time there is an interview its posted on the forum and like pirahnas we attempt to chew it apart, take it out of context, and apply slogans like "sign of weakness" or "childish behaiviour".

As far as online gaming, I really look for it to be a major part of the evolution of console gaming and Im sure Sony is considering this as well.

As far as Sony being nervous, of course they are nervous, the PS is their cash cow. With MS coming on strong they have ever reason to be nervous, but you had better believe that MS is nervous as well, really if they dont see profit this gen then they could go under with shareholders pulling the plug on the Xbox brand (I dont see this happening, but Im sure it is a concern). I believe that MS stands an excellent chance to gain ground on Sony (as far as console and game sales.

Sorry, Wounding, but I have to disagree once more. Maybe that is how you see them right now. But as I said before, a year or two ago, Sony was the target of attention every single time they were mentioned, and no, that doesn't mean positive neither. Up until now have I only witness some of the people at Microsoft complementing them on their accomplishments other than on the Eye Toy which they said they would probably be using for the next Xbox, which is known now as the 360. Infact, Sony were the ones with the least aggressive comments back then. Now that's doesn't mean they are innocent. But don't let it fool you that Microsoft is an innocent victim being picked on.

In the very begining of the PS3's designing stage, a lot of things were said against them, esspecially on the over promising, under delivering. I can still remember Allard saying the PS2 only succeeded because of the DVD player. So he would make sure that he added one into the next console. He also talked about the HDD and how he included it at an affordable price so that consumers would realize that they were more serious about online in comparison to Sony making it an add-on with a memory card in its place, which could have been true back then.

When XNA was unveiled, I remember a statement similiar to, Sony is only shooting for hardware, but hardware is nothing without the software that's going to come with it. They were going to push XNA like their OS, basically (make everything standard like DVD players playing different discs) and that they were hoping for Sony and Nintendo to adopt it as well to keep from being left behind. They even went as far as making a video saying PSWHO on the back of the license plates of a car crash demo after already poking fun of them in a resent demonstration. I see A LOT of retracted statments the closer we get to launch, though. What is happening is they have now realized that they may have underestimated their competition badly and that it looks to be coming back on them ten fold. That is why they need Sony to say something about the PS3 before it's too late. But every time Sony doesn't, the people at Microsoft get more frustrated, leading to complements.

THIS (http://events.teamxbox.com/movies/700/The-Novice) is the Microsoft I know.

It's nothing personal. It's business.......right? ;-]

Darkon
10-08-2005, 08:11 PM
well the first 2 minutes where kinda funny the rest of it was just pathetic , god why won't more people open there eyes and see how god awful of a company Microsoft really is

woundingchaney
10-08-2005, 08:26 PM
Sorry, Wounding, but I have to disagree once more. Maybe that is how you see them right now. But as I said before, a year or two ago, Sony was the target of attention every single time they were mentioned, and no, that doesn't mean positive neither. Up until now have I only witness some of the people at Microsoft complementing them on their accomplishments other than on the Eye Toy which they said they would probably be using for the next Xbox, which is known now as the 360. Infact, Sony were the ones with the least aggressive comments back then. Now that's doesn't mean they are innocent. But don't let it fool you that Microsoft is an innocent victim being picked on.

In the very begining of the PS3's designing stage, a lot of things were said against them, esspecially on the over promising, under delivering. I can still remember Allard saying the PS2 only succeeded because of the DVD player. So he would make sure that he added one into the next console. He also talked about the HDD and how he included it at an affordable price so that consumers would realize that they were more serious about online in comparison to Sony making it an add-on with a memory card in its place, which could have been true back then.

When XNA was unveiled, I remember a statement similiar to, Sony is only shooting for hardware, but hardware is nothing without the software that's going to come with it. They were going to push XNA like their OS, basically (make everything standard like DVD players playing different discs) and that they were hoping for Sony and Nintendo to adopt it as well to keep from being left behind. They even went as far as making a video saying PSWHO on the back of the license plates of a car crash demo after already poking fun of them in a resent demonstration. I see A LOT of retracted statments the closer we get to launch, though. What is happening is they have now realized that they may have underestimated their competition badly and that it looks to be coming back on them ten fold. That is why they need Sony to say something about the PS3 before it's too late. But every time Sony doesn't, the people at Microsoft get more frustrated, leading to complements.

THIS (http://events.teamxbox.com/movies/700/The-Novice) is the Microsoft I know.

Im not sure what your getting at Dom.

Yes, of course MS has slung mud in the past, both companies are guilty of this.

I dont think MS needs Sony to say anything, they have quite a bit of momentum going into their console launch (at least here in the US dont know about the rest of the world). I think if anything MS doesnt want Sony to mass advertise their PS3 until after their initial launch.

Junox50
10-08-2005, 08:45 PM

Boy, you tell it better than I could. I tried to get somebody to realize this a while ago elsewhere and all he did was stand in Microsoft's corner, defend them, and act like Sony is the complete devil by bringing up nothing but excuses of how Microsoft is innocent and only Sony is the bully. He even had the nerve to bring up the toy story graphics argument and how Sony didnt deliver, but yet, when I mentioned Microsoft did the same thing with Xbox he had to go and post several pictures of some of the best looking games Xbox had to offer and tell me the console could do toy story level graphics.

Here's my comments and then his on Dreamcast and PS2. The guy acts like Sony is just the badguy in everything.

About Ken saying his console was going to be better than the Dreamcast: Of course he would say that. Do you really expect a guy from Sony to go and say that the Dreamcast is a much better console than the PS2? No? What other choice does he have? To down talk it and make PS2 seem better to the consumers so they'll buy it. Itís competitive business. Their both going to down talk each other and try to make their console seem better.

oh yes there is no problem with downplaying the other guys, but when you start to lie about what youíre machine can really do, then it gets a little more complicated. He said the PS2 would be able to push Toy Story graphics. shame_on_you I will not be fooled again by these people. I am just going to have to wait and see if the PS3 is in fact more powerful.

Hiliarious!

Domination
10-08-2005, 08:49 PM
Im not sure what your getting at Dom.

Yes, of course MS has slung mud in the past, both companies are guilty of this.

I dont think MS needs Sony to say anything, they have quite a bit of momentum going into their console launch (at least here in the US dont know about the rest of the world). I think if anything MS doesnt want Sony to mass advertise their PS3 until after their initial launch.

Wounding, I am correcting you on your last statement. The people at Microsoft were asking for whatever they are receiving. So when the guys at Sony says something against their console that you don't agree with, don't take it as it being something offensive. In Microsoft's mind, it was only business back then when they referred to Sony as a lying novice. But I don't think they needed Microsoft to point that out to them. So if Sony thinks their console is a 1.5 compared to theirs, the criticism should not be pointing at only them for doing so. They obviously see it as "business," as well.

That's justice, my friend. ;-]

D3adcell
10-08-2005, 08:56 PM
well the first 2 minutes where kinda funny the rest of it was just pathetic , god why won't more people open there eyes and see how god awful of a company Microsoft really is

They are so evil, bill gates has so much money he must be satan. [/sarcasm]

Microsoft is not a bad company, they have good customer service and honestly I havent seen bill gates summoning any demons to terrorize the world ever (like many seem the think he does). Actually MS has better customer service then sony I would say. When my xbox messed up they paid for shipping, fixed it for free, and I had it back in less then a week. When my ps2 messed up I paid to ship it to sony, they fixed it and it took over a month for me to get it back.

I'm sick of hearing all the 'microsoft is evil' bullshit.

Maybe you were being sarcastic aswell darkon, but this goes to all those anti-ms people out there.

woundingchaney
10-08-2005, 09:00 PM

Microsoft is not a bad company, they have good customer service and honestly I havent seen bill gates summoning any demons to terrorize the world ever (like many seem the think he does). Actually MS has better customer service then sony I would say. When my xbox messed up they paid for shipping, fixed it for free, and I had it back in less then a week. When my ps2 messed up I paid to ship it to sony, they fixed it and it took over a month for me to get it back.

Maybe you were being sarcastic aswell darkon, but this goes to all those anti-ms people out there.

I think he was more referring to the business practices of MS as a corporation not exactly their Xbox line or customer service reps.

Darkon
10-08-2005, 09:03 PM
Since when did ken or anyone from Sony promise Toy story graphics? and hardware wise ps2 is superior then dreamcast and if the dreamcast (too bad it isn't :( ) was still around it wouldn't have aged well.

woundingchaney
10-08-2005, 09:06 PM
Wounding, I am correcting you on your last statement. The people at Microsoft were asking for whatever they are receiving. So when the guys at Sony says something against their console that you don't agree with, don't take it as it being something offensive. In Microsoft's mind, it was only business back then when they referred to Sony as a lying novice. But I don't think they needed Microsoft to point that out to them. So if Sony thinks their console is a 1.5 compared to theirs, the criticism should not be pointing at only them for doing so. They obviously see it as "business," as well.

That's justice, my friend. ;-]

I see your point, I just cant find its context. I posted earlier as how MS seems to always bring up Sony in interviews and the like and how it was in a large part because MS reps are questioned about Sony in their interviews.

My initial point was there is plenty of mud slinging as of late and to hold one company accountable for it and not the other is somewhat biased.

Domination
10-08-2005, 09:07 PM

It's like everyone that enters the gaming industry is evil these days. http://community.the-underdogs.org/smiley/happy/laugh2.gif

woundingchaney
10-08-2005, 09:13 PM
Since when did ken or anyone from Sony promise Toy story graphics? and hardware wise ps2 is superior then dreamcast and if the dreamcast (too bad it isn't :( ) was still around it wouldn't have aged well.

I think that original statement came from a reporter/journalist and immediately became a media slogan, Im pretty sure Sony never directly said that. (not completely sure though)

Domination
10-08-2005, 09:14 PM
I see your point, I just cant find its context. I posted earlier as how MS seems to always bring up Sony in interviews and the like and how it was in a large part because MS reps are questioned about Sony in their interviews.

My initial point was there is plenty of mud slinging as of late and to hold one company accountable for it and not the other is somewhat biased.

Oh trust me, I'm not. But people seem to have gotten the wrong impression as to why Sony is being as aggressive as they are while Microsoft sits in their own little light as being the innocent kid on the block that is constantly being taken advantage of. But in reality, they are far from it. The way I see it, if you can dish it out, you had better be damn well prepared to take it.

woundingchaney
10-08-2005, 09:17 PM
Oh trust me, I'm not. But people seem to have gotten the wrong impression as to why Sony is being as aggressive as they are while Microsoft sits in their own little light as being the innocent kid on the block that is constantly being taken advantage of. But in reality, they are far from it. The way I see it, if you can dish it out, you had better be damn well prepared to take it.

Ok I get you now and I agree.

Darkon
10-08-2005, 09:22 PM

I would have said the same thing if this was 3 years ago but after learning couple of things about Microsoft i will never defend MS or buy any of there products ever again.

speed stick
10-08-2005, 09:27 PM
Good point, in all reality a PS2 to Xbox is not really a good comparison. I look more along the lines of a GC to Xbox comparison in this next gen.

That seems like the proper comparasin. XBOX to GC. Look at the timeframe difference bewteen the PS2 and XBOX. Its 1.5 years. The GC and the XBOX came out about the sametime I believe. With the PS3 and XBOX there is only going to be a small time difference. lets say about 6 months. I don't think there are going to be huge difference like some people had stated.

Cofey
10-08-2005, 09:31 PM
Sorry, double post.

Cofey
10-08-2005, 09:31 PM
I don't understand why Allard and the others keep acting like online play is the biggest factor when it comes to gaming.
Honestly, I didn't either, until I started working retail. I've been at EB for just under a year now, and really, you learn a lot by working in a place like that.

Things change people. It's time to face facts: online play is already big and it's only getting bigger. Pretty soon it's going to be a necessity for a console to survive in the market. You want proof of that? Nintendo is jumping on board. That should be enough to convince you.

Honestly, I didn't dig the whole online thing myself to begin with. But the more I think about it the more appealing it becomes. Nintendo's online service will be great because it'll be free. Microsoft's, although you must pay to use it, is very attractive as well.

My point is this: while online play is certainly not the biggest factor to consider, it's a very big one for an already very big and still growing number of gamers. To downplay its importance is just as foolish as to overplay it.

Black Dragon37
10-08-2005, 09:33 PM
Perhaps you could tell me how this differs from Kuturagi's statements on the 360.Murked.

The guy has a point - "Xbox 1.5", Microsoft looking at the PS2 for inspiration for the Xbox 360...

Kutaragi-san's said it all to undermine Microsoft, and it's kinda worked so far.

speed stick
10-08-2005, 09:35 PM
^You are correct. Online play has become a huge thing in games in the past few years. When I look at getting a game now, I make sure it has online play to give the game replay value.

rpgamer_2k5
10-09-2005, 01:11 AM
I think that original statement came from a reporter/journalist and immediately became a media slogan, Im pretty sure Sony never directly said that. (not completely sure though)
It was never uttered by Sony. The PS2's launch titles met all the demos of upcoming games, NOT technical demonstrations (eg. old man). Don't worry, Killzone will be met..no, I mean surpassed. :)

That seems like the proper comparasin. XBOX to GC. Look at the timeframe difference bewteen the PS2 and XBOX. Its 1.5 years. The GC and the XBOX came out about the sametime I believe. With the PS3 and XBOX there is only going to be a small time difference. lets say about 6 months. I don't think there are going to be huge difference like some people had stated. You do realize that by saying 'I think', your claim can't degrade the comments made before hand. To reply to your argument: what happens this generation will not always happen next generation. The PS3 does not need to be released a year later to be superior to the Xbox 360. It is very possible that the jointly-developed Cell is going to help the PS3 reach visuals significantly above the Xbox 360. Moreover, this time Sony, a major player in the hardware sector is releasing their console after the Xbox 360 and in the same timeframe as Nintendo. It does seem like Sony has hardware technology on their side, unlike MS. The reason why the PS2 was able to compete against the GC and Xbox even though realized 1.5 years earlier is because Sony has a hardware edge. The PS2 was able to better the high-end PCs with Geforce 2, Radeon 32MB DRR, and the Voodoo 5. Infact the PS2 was able to compete against the Xbox with the souped up Geforce 3, which made it comparable to a Geforce 4. MS won't be in this position next-gen, they will be first.

If we look at all the developments, the PS3 games are indeed superior to the Xbox 360 counterpart, even though on incomplete SDKs. The games on the PS3 are going to look better, the Gundam game that looks almost like a CG will look much better. We still don't know if Killzone, Motorstorm, etc are CGs and neither of the developers have claimed that they contracted a CG studio to render the pre-rendered movies. The claim was bullsh*t at E3 and is still bullsh*t. Even the statements we are hearing from develops are clearly highlighting that the PS3 will be able to produce much more prettier graphics. Other developers are even stating that the PS3 is more powerful. Along with that, the recent comment by MS regarding, the Xbox 360 producing visuals similar to PS3 doesn't make situations look any better. If the PS3 and Xbox 360 were indeed equal in visuals, then such comments won't be made. ATI stated earlier that the Xenos will surpass the RSX and MS pretty much claimed that the Cell is a waste, but why hold back? From tough bully MS to a weak child.

Xbox 360 = PS3 is a pathetic statement
It should be...
PS3 > Xbox 360 = PS2 < Xbox :)

My point is this: while online play is certainly not the biggest factor to consider, it's a very big one for an already very big and still growing number of gamers. To downplay its importance is just as foolish as to overplay it. It certainly is and expect Nintendo and Sony to provide an excellent service. Nintendo's online service was said to be very special according to previous reports.

Junox50
10-09-2005, 01:15 AM
Honestly, I didn't either, until I started working retail. I've been at EB for just under a year now, and really, you learn a lot by working in a place like that.

Things change people. It's time to face facts: online play is already big and it's only getting bigger. Pretty soon it's going to be a necessity for a console to survive in the market. You want proof of that? Nintendo is jumping on board. That should be enough to convince you.

Honestly, I didn't dig the whole online thing myself to begin with. But the more I think about it the more appealing it becomes. Nintendo's online service will be great because it'll be free. Microsoft's, although you must pay to use it, is very attractive as well.

My point is this: while online play is certainly not the biggest factor to consider, it's a very big one for an already very big and still growing number of gamers. To downplay its importance is just as foolish as to overplay it.

I'm saying that he acts like Online play is what everyone wants in a console. It is not. Not everybody has a computer, not everybody wants to play online against people they don't know, not everybody is in to that kind of thing. If online play was that big of a deal the Xbox would have sold more than it did.

I'm not saying it isnt needed or it isnt important. I'm just saying Allard acts like its the most important thing when it comes to a console. It is not.

speed stick
10-09-2005, 02:34 AM
We'll find out when the PS3 comes out rpgamer. Your not working on the PS3 so you can't consider yourself correct.

woundingchaney
10-09-2005, 02:51 AM
We'll find out when the PS3 comes out rpgamer. Your not working on the PS3 so you can't consider yourself correct.
Quoted for truth.

Garfunkel
10-09-2005, 03:21 AM
i think that microsoft is trying to make sony talk but i don't know how that will help them now that they are weeks away from launch.

PS are you a dev rpggamer?

Domination
10-09-2005, 11:22 AM
i think that microsoft is trying to make sony talk but i don't know how that will help them now that they are weeks away from launch.

PS are you a dev rpggamer?

That doesn't matter. You can still counter your competition, rather that be price, a bundled pack or whatever, if you know what they are up to ahead of time. But with Sony being as quiet as they are, and only using a silhouette, if that, of their actual strategy to draw in the users just before they announce what's really in store moments before their launch, it really takes the wind out of the blow in which Microsoft needs to hit them with before that time.

Basically put, Sony is shutting the lights off on them, leaving Microsoft in the dark swinging as hard as they can just hoping to have struck something. If what I am suspecting is anything close to accurate, they are making Microsoft exhaust themsleves before finally turning on the lights and delivering a blow of their own.

Garfunkel
10-09-2005, 11:37 AM
good point, good competition beetween sony and m$ i guess

sif
10-09-2005, 12:11 PM

Everyone has their good and bad experiences with companys. My sony HDD walkman had an ungrade carried out, and whilst it was with them they fixed a huge scartch in the screen, without charging me, even though it was not a wrranty repair. A single story does not really make one company's service better than the others. It could be anomalous, then again it might not. One story out of thousands is not statistically relevant, it might be just a fluke.