PDA

View Full Version : Sony Drops PS3 Router Function

D3adcell
07-12-2005, 12:19 AM
Sony Drops PS3 Router Functionality
Promises, promises.
by Jane Pinckard, 07/11/2005

It's so typically Sony. They promise you the moon, get you all excited over some nice-looking movies and some sexy hardware. They flirt and tease and drop not-so-subtle hints. And then when you finally get them home, they shut the door in your face. And you end up with all that...excitement and nothing to do.

Sony, we have a name for creatures like you.

The latest feature to quietly drop is the vaunted PS3 router functionality, which was supposed to transform your console into a massive wireless hub capable of managing all your electronics and guiding alien starships. So then, what's gonna happen to all those network ports on the back? Are they even going to exist anymore?

Sigh. Next thing you know, the controllers are going to have wires.

Stay tuned to 1Up for the latest [line through]disappointments[/line through] developments on the PS3.

What is going to be next that they drop off the list?

Ethan
07-12-2005, 12:45 AM
I'm gonna HOPE they keep the George Forman Grilling capability. I was sold on that alone.

Generic Wheaties
07-12-2005, 12:55 AM
Whoopdee Freakin' doo. Everyone has a router. If you're buying a ps3 for a router, you're lame. I'm still sold.

D3adcell
07-12-2005, 01:45 AM
Whoopdee Freakin' doo. Everyone has a router. If you're buying a ps3 for a router, you're lame. I'm still sold.

Thats not the point. The thing is, what will be the next promise they can't keep? This is only a minor thing, but they are already taking things away.

Generic Wheaties
07-12-2005, 05:33 PM
The point is Sony is trying to get the price down so more people will buy it. I'd do it too, and so would you if you were trying to get somthing out to more people. end of discussion.

ChriZno
07-13-2005, 01:30 AM
Meh, I wanna get all three consoles anyways. We all know that won't happen, but I'm fucked, cus I can't choose...

Bombardier
07-13-2005, 02:40 AM
The point is Sony is trying to get the price down so more people will buy it. I'd do it too, and so would you if you were trying to get somthing out to more people. end of discussion.
For Sony, that's a battle they can't win. Their machine sports dual MSI'd graphics cards that currently retail around 500 USD each. At about 1 000 USD just for the graphics setup, can you imagine what the final production cost would be? Sony's not trying to lower the retail price of their playstation, they're trying to avoid bankruptcy.

Since no one's going to buy a 1 000 dollar console, Sony will have to lose metric shit tons of money on each PS3 to stay competitive. The company's already in massive debt, I have no idea how they're going to survive.

D3adcell
07-13-2005, 03:35 AM
They cost 500$ to consumers. But if they are being bought straight from the manufacture they are not worth nearly as much. Also i'm sure sony will be getting them in bulk.

The thing I was bringing this thread to attention for is the fact that Sony likes to promise things and then not deliver. They did it for every system they have released (ps1, ps2, psp, now ps3).

Bombardier
07-13-2005, 03:38 AM
They cost 500$ to consumers. But if they are being bought straight from the manufacture they are not worth nearly as much. Also i'm sure sony will be getting them in bulk.
The exact cost of the cards doesn't really matter. Even if Sony could get the cards at less than 50% retail, they would still lose a lot of money on each PS3. Money they can't afford to lose, as per their aforementioned debt.

It's really going to be interesting, seeing what arises from this next generation.

Pats
07-13-2005, 04:52 AM
It's really going to be interesting, seeing what arises from this next generation.
A revolution.

HAHA GET IT

dysury
07-13-2005, 12:42 PM
i want a system that also transforms into a segway and an anti-aircraft missile launcher on the fly. and i want the system to talk to me and tell me that everything's going to be alright when i'm blue. i also expect the system to double as a bad and a wallet.

as a consumer i demand these things, and a microwave wouldn't be bad either.