PDA

View Full Version : Tapwave Tapping Out

Viper
07-28-2005, 09:36 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/28/news_6129949.html

Company and its multimedia handheld, the Zodiac, are no more; crowded market, limited library contribute to company's doom.

The competitive portable gaming industry is one less. Tapwave, a Mountain View, California-based company, announced that it has gone under this week, taking its Zodiac multimedia handheld with it.

On a post on Tapwave's official Web site, a solemn message reads "We are sorry to inform you that the Zodiac business was discontinued and service and support are no longer available as of July 25th 2005."

The Palm OS-based machine combines all the functions of a personal digital assistant with high-performance mobile gaming. The unit, which was released in late 2003, received fairly high critical marks for its combination of performance and functionality.

However, the market was not kind to the portable, as several competitors chipped away at its share, and gamers were disappointed by the system's limited game library. Nokia's N-Gage, Tiger Telematic's Gizmondo, and Sony's PSP were all either available or announced, taking some of the fire away from the Zodiac.

By Tim Surette -- GameSpot

Exodus
07-28-2005, 09:39 PM
That sucks...

Phoenix
07-28-2005, 10:22 PM
Nokia's N-Gage, Tiger Telematic's Gizmondo, and Sony's PSP were all either available or announced, taking some of the fire away from the Zodiac.It could be just the fact that for a multifunction handheld to not bomb, they need to have a name like "Playstation" that causes millions of mainstream gamers to buy it mindlessly.

koten
07-28-2005, 10:49 PM
Now only if Nokia could accept the fate of the N-Gage and bow out gracefully before they embarace themselves anymore.

Teh Roxor!
07-30-2005, 05:16 AM
Who didn't see this coming?

OutlawAdidas
07-30-2005, 05:19 AM
Luckily NNow's handheld is gonna be awesome. *said to much*

Vishus
07-30-2005, 06:17 AM
I posted this a long time ago and I don't think I got any replies.

Dark_Cloud
07-31-2005, 02:09 AM
My life is over.