PDA

View Full Version : Revolution

stanDarsh
05-17-2005, 09:42 AM
With all the excitement of the PS3 details that have emerged, it is very easy to overlook the other 2 consoles, here is some info I found on IGN:

E3 2005: Revolution Details Emerge

Two-to-three more times powerful than GameCube.
by Matt Casamassina

May 17, 2005 - New details regarding Nintendo's next-generation console, codenamed Revolution, have started to sprinkle onto the Internet. The machine, which will be revealed during Nintendo's pre-E3 2005 show on Tuesday morning in Los Angeles, will sport a slick, black design and a front blue light.

Revolution will be "two-to-three times more powerful than GameCube," according to Nintendo, which also acknowledges that the next-generation race isn't solely about new technologies. By contrast, Microsoft's Xbox 360 console is 13-15 times more powerful than the first, according to the publisher. And Sony says it's PlayStation 3 is roughly 35 times more powerful than PlayStation 2.

Nintendo also revealed that using Revolution's new Wi-Fi connection, gamers would be able to go online to a free gamer-matching service. Interestingly, in a move similar to Microsoft's Xbox Live Arcade service, Revolution users will be able to download classic and new Nintendo games over the Internet. Nintendo cited such examples as Donkey Kong and Super Mario Sunshine, which suggests that Revolutionaries could have access to games for all the publisher's previous consoles.

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/615/615008/e3-2005-revolution-revealed-20050517010646774.jpg

http://cube.ign.com/articles/615/615019p1.html
http://media.cube.ign.com/articles/615/615008/imgs_1.html

ireland24
05-17-2005, 11:25 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

3 times more powerful THAAAAANNN..........

the gamecube.

AHHHAAAAAHAHAHA.

Oh man i needed a good laugh today!

diOndOrAntt
05-17-2005, 11:43 AM
Atleast it will be cheap

Olz
05-17-2005, 12:46 PM
I hate to say it but graphics and hardware arent everything. Sure I will buy a PS3, but thats because i have always had one. If Nintendo do something really original they should be applauded and I will probably buy their next machine. Games are fun not graphics (they are still nice tho).

Jamie3000
05-17-2005, 01:38 PM
What the hell? If this is true; this could be the end of Nintendo consoles. Nobody in there right minds wil buy it.

The only thing that can save them, is good games :D

oxygenuk
05-17-2005, 02:07 PM
not all about graphics, itll have online features like no other too, you be able to download all the nintendo classics down to the revolution, and yes i mean earlier than the n64 ;)

Jamie3000
05-17-2005, 02:25 PM
not all about graphics, itll have online features like no other too, you be able to download all the nintendo classics down to the revolution, and yes i mean earlier than the n64 ;)

But why wud we want to play old Nintendo games? I mean isnt that why were buying a Revolution? To play new Nintendo games?

Even still, its a very nice feature :D

Illmatic
05-17-2005, 03:28 PM
Looks like the Rev's going to be the best looking console next gen. :wink:

Very nice.

n1n9tean
05-17-2005, 06:29 PM
I think the REV will be very cool. Downloading gamecube games will be fun. And yes it's not all about graphics especially since this system is set to revoloutionize gameplay.

I will have the MOST powerful system with the best graphics (PS3) and the one that is set to be the most different from the norm...then again I dont know about that becasue PS3 will be revoloutinary too. I still cant beleive that eyetoy demo where the guy dipped the cup into the water and started pouring it everywhere. Imagine how that can be used in games!!! Just replace that cup with a pair of gloves and kick some in-game AS$!!! 8)

Charlie
05-17-2005, 06:34 PM
Those are some pretty impressive statements about the Rev, especially the 20 years or so of backwards compatability. Now if only they had shown something other than a shiney black box with a blue light I might be sold, but I still need to see new games and a dang controller befor I can decide on what to suport for the next 5 years.

Fooly Cooly
05-17-2005, 06:34 PM
it will 2-3 times faster then gamecube I thinks it due to the small size of the console they also want the games to be developed cheaply may the revolution will have cheaper price games they may still remain at 50$ while the xbox and Ps3 will have games that cost 60$

lilkoy123
05-17-2005, 06:51 PM
Is it compatible with the Gamecube disc?

gnznroses
05-17-2005, 07:13 PM
Those are some pretty impressive statements about the Rev, especially the 20 years or so of backwards compatability.

is that official? i would think the licensing issues with having every past game for download would be tough. even if you charged for em. cause a lot of companies that made em don't exist anymore.

Charlie
05-17-2005, 07:31 PM
Dosen't get much more official than this. (http://www.nintendo.com/newsarticle?articleid=02ea1a40-ac09-4cdf-9548-91e5a4e78746&page=home) And I doubt they'll have all games downloadable (in fact, the article dosen't even specify having them all). Such as the old Disney NES games made by Capcom (Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, Chip & Dale... good times) couldn't possibly be there because Disney and Capcom severed ties long ago. Also as with you stating, certain game companies are no longer there and their product rights are now stuck in limbo. But still, thats a pretty impressive claim. Even if no other publishers or developers want to do this, thats alot of Nintendo games that the Revolution will have, mabey even right off the bat.

I also find it funny how Nintendo calls their self loading disk slot "innovative". Especially since the only console not doing that is the Xbox 2.

HGwells
05-17-2005, 09:01 PM
It's the best looking machine so far. (Still hoping this isn't the PS3 final design). I am dismayed with the 2 - 3 times more powerful than the gamecube statement. Yes they had already stated they aren't going for graphics but instead game play. I’d hoped the Rev would at least be able to hold it's own against Xbox360 & PS3 in terms of specs. Sort of like the PS2 compared to the Xbox & Gamecube. They've really backed themselves into a corner this time. Let’s hope the games they have in store for us are like nothing we've ever seen before.

Z
05-17-2005, 09:19 PM
man is it sleek! I tap my hat for Ninty. that is one helluva design. it actually looks more like Sony's style. but we still need to keep in mind that it is not as technically advanced as the other two. that gives it the freedom to be so small. and FINALLY, we can see a DVD movie on a Ninty product. they sure took their sweet time.
I also heared that the metroid demo wasn't that impressive compared to X2 and certainly PS3. oh well, Rev isn't about raw power anyway.

CrumCon
05-17-2005, 10:29 PM
So what exactly is revolutioary about this console?
Why did nintendo hyped this thing as a revolutionary in gaming history, they said last uear E3.

Downloading and playing old nintendo console games is not revolutionary, not at all, it could be done on pc years ago.

playig online NOPE either,

so that left only for the controller for this system.

--

julps31
05-17-2005, 10:58 PM
Okay to the people saying graphics aren't everything I say thats true but why release a next-gen console if the graphics aren't improved? Thats one of the main reasons next-gen consoles are released in addition to the improved processing capability. All combine to give us a more realistic and deeper gameplay experience. I thought this was obvious but felt I had to say it. Hey I might have to get one depending on the cost (for the nostalgia factor and Gcube games) but I say its down for the count in terms of next-gen console because its not really providing a new gameplay experience.

Charlie
05-18-2005, 12:06 AM
Untill actual specs, gameplay movies/screens, and a controller is shown I don't think anyone should pass judgement.

eggyoke
05-18-2005, 12:31 AM
I'm actually really excited about this. Not for next-gen games... thats what my PS3 is going to be for, but to be able to download all those games I played when I was but a wee midget... I cant wait.

I think its a good idea by Ninty NOT to compete with Sony's monster, but instead give us something to play next-gen looking Mario and Zelda games... even if its not as numbertastic! as PS3.

And the Nintendo presidents right, Revolution will appeal to more people than PS3. Both my girlfriend and sister wouldn't bat an eyelash at the PS3, but when they see the old Mario games playing on Revolution, then its me who'll be the spectator!

rev>thanu
05-18-2005, 02:51 AM
if ps3 does uses linux they can make an emulator (ilegal of course) that plays all xbox, N64, gamecube, SNES, famicon, Dreamcast, Genesis, Saturn etc. games all on your ps3. Cell is so powerfull i believe it can emulate all of these consoles. Also if Nintendo Revolution ends up being only 3 times more power than the original gamecube, an emulator for ps3 or PC is bound to happen. PS3 is so powerfull that it can mostlikely emulate Revolution games.

gnznroses
05-18-2005, 03:32 AM
i'd say when they say old "Ninentdo games", they probably mean those made by Nintendo. plus maybe more that other companies option to put on there, but certainly not every game made for those systems.

klaymen
05-18-2005, 04:14 AM
if ps3 does uses linux they can make an emulator (ilegal of course) that plays all xbox, N64, gamecube, SNES, famicon, Dreamcast, Genesis, Saturn etc. games all on your ps3. Cell is so powerfull i believe it can emulate all of these consoles. Also if Nintendo Revolution ends up being only 3 times more power than the original gamecube, an emulator for ps3 or PC is bound to happen. PS3 is so powerfull that it can mostlikely emulate Revolution games.

somehow, i don't think there will be an xbox emulator for ps2 (at least not one that plays games efficiently)

Charlie
05-18-2005, 05:35 AM
The statement that the Revolution is only 3 to 4 times stronger than the Gamecube could aparently be wrong. Heres the scoop!

UPDATE (16:18 GMT): The console will take the name of "Revolution" or "RS" (Revolution System) and will come shipped with a wireless pad. The amount of wireless pads the system can handle is unconfirmed. Apparently, in contradiction to our earlier update, the console will be around the same measure of power as the PS3. It will come equipped with online from launch day.

-Club SkillSource (http://www.clubskill.com/?view=article&article=921)

The quote itself is at the bottom of the page, so you gota do some scrolling and searching (above the last 3 pictures to be precise).

Mordecai
05-18-2005, 06:59 AM
LOL same measure of power as the PS3???? LOLLLLLLLLLL... Ok, sorry about that but I absolutely refuse to believe that Nintendo can get around the same measure of power if even Microsoft is lagging behind. Sony spend a TON of money on R&D, and it's paying off now since they have the undisputed fastest hardware. On top of that, it is absolutely impossible for the Revolution to have as good hardware when it's going to be that small... cooling would be impossible! I see it having power as good as or slightly better than the 360, but it will not be the same level as the PS3.

imported_The_One
05-18-2005, 09:50 AM
Untill actual specs, gameplay movies/screens, and a controller is shown I don't think anyone should pass judgement. Agreed.

All I can say is that the design looks EXTREMELY slick and sexy 8).

Better than Xbox 360's and PS3's designs combined and multiplied by a hundred :lol:.

n1n9tean
05-18-2005, 01:59 PM
Untill actual specs, gameplay movies/screens, and a controller is shown I don't think anyone should pass judgement. Agreed.

All I can say is that the design looks EXTREMELY slick and sexy 8).

Better than Xbox 360's and PS3's designs combined and multiplied by a hundred :lol:.

I wouldnt say that. While it does look cool, it just isnt as cool as PS3's design but it does look way better than 360 IMO. It's really just minimal design (sorta looks like a memory card of some sort :lol: ) but I guess that's part of what makes it look good along with that glowing light from the disc slot.

Fooly Cooly
05-18-2005, 03:02 PM
Seems the revolution will come in more colors too
I found this part funny

"Uh huh, Nintendo, you’re all about the colors, aren’t you. The Xbox 360 folks plunked down how many millions to get to “chill white” and you just came along and said “We can’t decide — let’s just put ‘em all out!” Different strokes, different strokes."

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000843043751/

klaymen
05-18-2005, 03:10 PM
Seems the revolution will come in more colors too
I found this part funny

"Uh huh, Nintendo, you’re all about the colors, aren’t you. The Xbox 360 folks plunked down how many millions to get to “chill white” and you just came along and said “We can’t decide — let’s just put ‘em all out!” Different strokes, different strokes."

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000843043751/

why is it a god idea for a sony console to have different colors, but not a nintendo one?

Fooly Cooly
05-18-2005, 03:54 PM
who is talking about sony i saying that the xbox designed cost them alot money for something weird looking

ireland24
05-18-2005, 05:17 PM
Maybe by 'revolutionise' they mean that after they've gone bankrupt they'll release mario on the ps3 and xbox 360 and make use of THEIR revolutionary features :lol:

rev>thanu
05-20-2005, 08:47 PM
HAHAHAHAHA :lol: that would be funny. i mean i think people will buy revolution but it will sell less than gamecube in my opinion and both xbox 360 and ps3 will sell even more consoles. i think this coming GEN xbox 360 will double it's sales from the original xbox sales of 20 million to 40 million and ps3 will go up from the ?million ( it still sells a lot) to 180 million world wide sales. that's just me though.

Fooly Cooly
05-20-2005, 10:06 PM
I heard the big revolution will be a new controller and a new way the in game camera will look so split screens will no longer be needed

rev>thanu
05-20-2005, 10:22 PM
that doesn't sound revolutionary at all. the camera thing can always be done through software and the control thing can always be an add on peripheral. I really don't consider that revolutionary at all.

Rallyracr420
05-22-2005, 11:37 AM
The more and more I see the Revolution pics that Nintendo showed at E3, the more I want it. Its sleek, backwards compatible, cheap, and innovative. Coming from a gamer who believes that the current generation of graphics looks damn good as it is, the Revolution will be enough to fill a market niche that hasn't been filled before...cheap innovative gameplay while still displaying some kickass graphics. (2x-3x better than God of War? bring. it. on.) Nintendo summed it all up when they said they'll be the ones that provide cheap development costs to the next gen games...because innovation is more important than graphics. (Well, something like that anyways) The GameCube disappointed me greatly but the Revolution truely makes me drool and contemplate what makes a gamer at heart at the same time. Right on Nintendo, good job.

Now lets see that revolutionary controller!

(BTW, I want to re-assert my prediction here that the Revolution will be an enhanced GameCube with a PhysX chip in it. I maybe wrong here, but this prediction provides for a solution that is cheap, easily backward compatible, and still powerful. I'm rooting for you Nintendo...don't screw this up!)

rev>thanu
05-24-2005, 11:29 PM
Well innovation comes from developers. Yes there are peripherals that add innovative new features like Eye toy and DS handheld system which challenge developers to look for new ways of playing games. The fact remains that these are just tools to what developers can do and offer to us.

I also don't see anything of Revolution being as innovative as the eye toy. just look at that tech demo with the bath tub and the cups. how the eye toy used motion capture and transferred the movements to the virtual cups. i mean that wasn't the eye toy only working but the cell was also working alot there. Without the power of cell then that demo couldn't have been done. What i mean of it not been done is that without cell's power and it's capabitlity of handling advance physics that water wouldn't have reacted as it would have on a weaker console. So those are things that power bring into play. so power also plays a really important part in innovation.

But then again these are just tools, like i said before innovation comes 100% from developers and not hardware. Look at Sly cooper 3 3d, the first game that will pop out of your tv screen. that's very innovative and there isn't a peripheral required to play it and what is required to play this game is being provided by the developers themselfs. So how about that for innovation.

Like i said i've seen more innovation coming from sony than nintendo. Nintendo is more talk than action, how about them innovating the Zelda series a lot more like capcom did with RE4.

xbdestroya
05-25-2005, 12:16 PM
All I've got to say about Revolution is that with backwards-compatability to GameCube and the ability to access the full libraries of previous generation games, you best believe I'm buying on day 1. 8)

I mean, anyone that thinks I won't be playing 8-bit Bionic Commando immediately upon hook-up is wrong - and throw some MULE in there as well!

rev>thanu
05-25-2005, 04:13 PM
your getting because of that. I already have all of Nintendo and SNEs on my PC and i got it for free. There is an emulator you can download through lime wire or a P2P connection which brings all those games to your PC. The same goes for all sega games too. The N64 games i still have my nintendo 64 and i have the best games for it. Star fox, mario, Zelda OT and MM, Perfect Dark and 007 golden eye. I need no more and i have the gamecube. I'm not planning on getting N-Rev just for it's bit library. Actually i'm having second thoughts on getting one.

Z
05-25-2005, 10:20 PM
the ‘retro access’ move is mainly targeted for old school Ninty diy hard gamers. Again, they will LOVE Ninty for doing such a thing. But for other gamers, such a movie is nothing to be excited about. Average gamers want to play current and new games not games that were there before they were even born. I loved Duck Hunt on the FamiCom but I don’t see myself playing it again.
Such a move isn’t a very convincing attraction for the casual gamer and other consumers.
Ninty fans may enjoy this move, but Ninty better do something else for the rest of the world (where the majority of gamers lie)

O.D.S
05-29-2005, 04:31 AM
heres some new colours the Rev may be available in.

http://news.softpedia.com/images//news2/Ecuatia-jocurilor-in-lupta-Xbox-360-PlayStation-3-si-Nintendo-Revolution-2.jpg

i especially like the red one...(maybe because its something different for a change?)

allso is it just me (or the angle of the image) but it looks like the Rev may have an inclined top? (iregular shaped cube?)

Charlie
05-29-2005, 05:00 AM
Its the stand, it puts the system at a slant.

Z
05-29-2005, 05:19 AM
it looks badly cropped. and why the Hell is everyone want their system to stand vertically? the Rev looks just fine laying on the floor.

Charlie
05-29-2005, 07:56 AM
If the thing is supose to get even smaller than that there is no point to stand it on its side. Hell the majority of my PS2's life has been laying down flat on top of my Xbox with my 'Cube on top of that (except for right now, my bro's got my Xbox).

immy
05-29-2005, 08:14 AM
The reason nintendo havn't shown the revotionary features are because there scared sony will copy them, anologe stick anyone.

HGwells
05-29-2005, 09:03 AM
The reason nintendo havn't shown the revotionary features are because there scared sony will copy them, anologe stick anyone.
Welcome dude, The actual reason is beacuse it isn't finshed yet. Nor is it in it's final stages.

RolandG
05-29-2005, 12:51 PM
The system looks really nice (I guess you've already seen all the other pics too).

Seems like Nintendo is really all about Entertainment. The Revolution is so small and portable it could become something like a gameboy compared to the bulky and powerful PS3 and Xbox 360.

And the Download feature is just awesome. There are so many good Nintendo titles for the NES, SNES and the N64 that are just fun to play and I don't think just hardcore Nintendo fans will use this feature. Super mario World and Mario Bros. 3 are still fun.

I am getting one.

xbdestroya
05-29-2005, 05:05 PM
your getting because of that. I already have all of Nintendo and SNEs on my PC and i got it for free. There is an emulator you can download through lime wire or a P2P connection which brings all those games to your PC. The same goes for all sega games too. The N64 games i still have my nintendo 64 and i have the best games for it. Star fox, mario, Zelda OT and MM, Perfect Dark and 007 golden eye. I need no more and i have the gamecube. I'm not planning on getting N-Rev just for it's bit library. Actually i'm having second thoughts on getting one.

I've has all NES and SNES games at various times before on emulator, but it's just not the same - can't explain why. I want to be able to enjoy the games on my big screen tv and not me slaved to my computer monitor - not to mention, I'm sure the Rev's controllers will feel a good deal more 'solid' than the usb gamepads I presently use for emulator games. Or rather, used, since I lost it all in a HD reformat incident.

altares
06-01-2005, 09:32 PM
ha haaa, i've found it !!!
ok ok, its not official yet but i'm pretty sure this IS the secret feature of the revolution, and here the very first leak over the net :wink:

http://www.textually.org/textually/archives/images/set2/image_01.jpg

Brain wave sensor system taps Bluetooth marshaled for mind readers
NeuroSky, wants to get into your head. By fusing brain wave recognition algorithms with a sensor chip and dry electrode, NeuroSky hopes to simplify cell phone-based applications that today require error-prone human input, as well as revolutionize applications from gaming to medical diagnostics and therapy, reports CommsDesign.

"Five companies, including a Bluetooth headset provider, game console maker and trucking company, are said to have signed up to market end-user products containing NeuroSky's chips. Its biggest customer thus far is Ziyitong Technology Co. Ltd. (China Mobile), which has more than 100 million cell phone subscribers, 13 million of whom have high-speed 3G service".

Ziyitong already offers a suite of mobile gaming applications. With NeuroSky-enabled headsets, Yang said, the provider could market its games as "good for kids" because they make gaming proactive. "Our sensor can train users to concentrate, plus it requires them to become proactive in their gaming skills. This transfers over to making them more outgoing in their social lives," he said.

Ziyitong also offers an online dating service. Users must answer a long list of questions from which their profile is generated. The catch is that users aren't always truthful. "But on a cell phone equipped with a headset using our sensor, the content provider could just flash images that represent the questions, and our sensor would record users' reactions," said Yang. "You cannot lie with your brain waves."

http://www.textually.org/textually/archives/2005/05/008507.htm

Humm, humm?! what say you ???

dont missunderstand, i'm NOT a nintendo fanboy, in fact i'm a sony one ;) so if my theory is true, it is a good thing for nintendo and a bad for Sony, BUT i'm still thinking that the PS3 IS THE KING OF NEXTGENs even without such a system.

n1n9tean
06-01-2005, 09:39 PM
I would DEFINATELY get one. 8)

It's possible and I hope it's true. :wink:

the legendary ice man
06-01-2005, 09:43 PM
What the hell? If this is true; this could be the end of Nintendo consoles. Nobody in there right minds wil buy it.

The only thing that can save them, is good games :D

I know a fair few people around where I live and where I go to school and they also know people who know people who know other people.

surprised? anyway, carrying on. The thing that links all of those people together is that they still prefer to play on the NES and SNES than anything else - okay, some play - and lose against me - new games and on the gameboy now and then, but still prefer to go back and play the early Mario games etc.

I wonder if it'll be able to play Gameboy and GameBoy advance games ( *cough* ) :roll:

Nintendo games and consoles aren't known for mass appeal and all the other things which makes people buy GT and GTA games, they are more about providing inventive and interactive games to which the whole family can play. As opposed to the select few hundred thousand sensible gamers and the mindless, idiotic teenage wannabe hardcore gamerz.

Fooly Cooly
06-02-2005, 01:19 AM
some revolution rumors some seem crazy but who knows

-Downloadable 1st party games are FREE.
-The controllers will have an optional gyroscopic feature to them.
-The console will ship in the price range of $150-200 USD..
-Super Smash Bros: Fire will ship with the Revolution as a BONUS.

Newboi
06-02-2005, 04:39 AM
Wow! If this is true, then I will definitely buy this next console.

Talk about a revolution.

Wait a minute! Didn't Sony patent an idea similar to this?

imported_The_One
06-02-2005, 04:51 AM
Somehow, I see anything as "optional" for a console being prone to failure...

And I'm willing to bet that the "optional" gyroscope is no different :roll:.

Charlie
06-02-2005, 05:20 AM
Wait a minute! Didn't Sony patent an idea similar to this?

Their patent was to send waves to your brain to immerse yourself as if you where actually in the game, akin to the old yet classic "Playstation 9" comercial. This is more of a controll device.

nesman
06-02-2005, 09:32 PM
I definately want a Revolution 8) Imagine if small developers start making NES and SNES games again just for Revolution. :twisted: I pray they will. I miss the old 80s and 90s when there was Atari, Nintendo, Sega, and the other classics. I would give anything to go back to those days and relive them. Back then storyline was everything. Games today are awesome and I love this generation as much as the olden days. But some of the spark is gone.....I would solely get a Revolution to play the old school games again.

rev>thanu
06-02-2005, 10:19 PM
dont missunderstand, i'm NOT a nintendo fanboy, in fact i'm a sony one ;) so if my theory is true, it is a good thing for nintendo and a bad for Sony, BUT i'm still thinking that the PS3 IS THE KING OF NEXTGENs even without such a system.

not to sound harsh but that's hardly innovative and can always be an add on feature to a console. just like eye toy was to the ps2. So it's nothing we Sony fan can get our hands on. plus Sony already has bluetooth wireless controllers maybe their agreement extends more than just the controller.

altares
06-03-2005, 08:35 PM

not to sound harsh but that's hardly innovative and can always be an add on feature to a console. just like eye toy was to the ps2. So it's nothing we Sony fan can get our hands on. plus Sony already has bluetooth wireless controllers maybe their agreement extends more than just the controller.

i'm really sorry to all sony fans (me included) but, this feature cannot be a extension for PS3 because all the system lies on a chip a very special chip and NOT the headset, this one is only a controler, so... Wait & See

O.D.S
06-11-2005, 04:35 AM
heres an interesting article on Revolution's status.

No HD On Revolution June 10, 2005

by: Phillip Levin

Nintendo says its next-generation home console won’t support high-definition games.

Today, IGN.com published a story on high-definition and how it will affect the future of videogames, movies and even regular cable or satellite-viewing. In the story, several well-known figures spoke about the subject, including Factor 5’s Julian Eggebrecht and, more significantly for Nintendo fans, Nintendo’s own Perrin Kaplan.

According to Mrs. Kaplan, Nintendo of America’s vice president of corporate affairs, Nintendo Revolution – Nintendo’s next-generation home console – will not support any high-definition formats.

“It is accurate that at this time we will not support high-definition [on Revolution]," Kaplan told IGN.com.

"Nintendo's Revolution is being built with a variety of gamers' needs in mind, such as quick start-up time, high power, and ease of use for development and play. It’s also compact and sleek, and has beautiful graphics in which to enjoy innovative games," Kaplan says. "Nintendo doesn't plan for the system to be HD compatible as with that comes a higher price for both the consumer and also the developer creating the game. Will it make the game better to play? With the technology being built into the Revolution, we believe the games will look brilliant and play brilliantly. This can all be done without HD."

"Companies focused on outdoing each other for technology's sake are using the power of public relations to confuse the media into thinking high-definition is a live-or-die part of the games of the future," says Kaplan. "It is a technological fact that games will still look incredibly beautiful and play incredibly well without the high cost of making them HD compatible. HD may be one of the technologies of the future. Is it the gaming industry's only future? We don't think so."

Meanwhile, both competitors, Microsoft and Sony, will be supporting the wave of HD with their next-generation consoles, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, respectively. With Xbox 360, Microsoft is requiring that all titles on the console output in both 720p and 1080i. Meanwhile, all games released on the PlayStation 3 will have to run in at least 720p or 1080i, if not higher modes, such as 1080p, which the PS3 can not only output in, but can output to two different high-definition TVs simultaneously. 1080p is currently one of the most advanced HD formats, which only a few high-end HDTV sets can run.

The next generation of videogames is approaching quickly. Xbox 360 will launch this fall, with PlayStation 3 launching sometime in 2006. Finally, Nintendo Revolution is due to release by the end of 2006.

so does this mean the Revolution has already chosen the bronze medal in the graphics department?

what do you guys think?

Charlie
06-11-2005, 06:16 AM
And the reason why the controller wasn't shown was not only because Nintendo was afraid others where going to steal the ideas, but also because...

Its not done yet. (http://gamespot.com/news/2005/06/07/news_6127075.html)

As for HD suport, this is only going to hurt them. Mabey not now, but a few years down the road when HDTV sets are more accessable and afordable it may (and probably will) bite them in the butt when the public sees the difference. You gotta wonder what Iwata is thinking sometimes.

Not that it affects me much, I just bought myself a new non-HDTV so I won't be investing in another one for quite some time. Guess I'll be only hooking my PS3 to my computer moniter.

Viper
06-11-2005, 10:52 PM
Doesn't bother me nor will it affect a mass majority of gamers. HDTV's won't have mass market penetration this generation.

Why waste money on an expensive component that a majority will never use?

Besides, I've seen TV set ups at the big retailers and the difference is not that profound.

This explains it all right here.

"I don't care if it's in high-definition or not -- I'm going to play Zelda on Revolution," says Denis Dyack, president of Silicon Knights.

Fooly Cooly
06-12-2005, 12:36 AM
More Rumors fot you a pic of an revolution helment :shock:
This is false info but hey you never know
http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000543046385/

Z
06-12-2005, 04:14 AM
Why waste money on an expensive component that a majority will never use?

It is called ‘progress’. It is called ‘pushing the envelope’. It is called ‘giving new experiences. If such moves aren’t made, we would still be playing on the same TVs we have now in 50 years. Maybe you want to freeze time for ever and only work on things that people use everyday. I want to advance. I want new technologies and possibilities.

Another point is that you can still play these consoles on normal TVs, just like Rev. the thing is these have another advantage; the luxury of using HD quality in game.

Viper
06-12-2005, 04:23 AM
Do you also realize the problem with going into HD? Frame rate. At SD, they can easily keep a constant silky smooth 60 fps. I talked to one developer at E3 who feels that even with the power of these new consoles, we'll have frame rate issue all over again.

Let's take another consideration, shall we?

What if, IF, the Rev is more powerful than the Xbox360 graphically. Will the HD difference matter then? IF it is more powerful, it would make sense not to include it. It saves money, less than half will use it if they had it, and the games will look better anyway. Since we don't know the full reasons, we can only speculate.

All these are IF's and we'll have to wait to see all of these consoles in action to know for sure.

GUNDAMSEED
06-12-2005, 12:57 PM
As i said it my Rant post CEA say it right now 12.5 of the USA has HDTVs also they say by 2008 it will be 68% even if they only get to 50% it will be the majority very soon REV will still have a good 3 years left . It's already standard in Asia .

Viper there also no IF nintendo said many times there systems won't be as power full as x box 360 or ps3 it as cost cuting system.You want to know the reasons heres one .

Nintendo, on the other hand, has downplayed the role of technology in its future console, codenamed Revolution, which is believed to ship in the latter half of 2006. Company president Satoru Iwata says that advancing technology has stifled the creativity of developers. Revolution, a slick, relatively small console, has been designed to be "quiet and affordable," according to company executives. As a result, the platform will likely be less powerful than PS3 and Xbox 360.

That sums it up the best i have seen this on alot of sites not just ign, or gamestop. Iwata even has more like games are becoming to long. Also can you tell me how technology has stifled Devs .

Also this is going to push devs away from your systems , when some one goes into a store and see a gamse that are on x box 360 , ps3 and same game in on Rev but with out HD they won't even buy it if they have more than one systems .

Nintendo are trying to kept there core fan base and not pull in any new gamers but porblem with that is they are losing some. I have been on alot of sites and good few people have said they won't buy REV because of this even some my friends are saying this and they skip all the other systems this Gen for a GC. But nintendo has to see that some of it core fan base are no longer kids we buy stuff and we want to option to use it . There's only so much core fan base is going to take . right now i going threw a sega with nintendo all over a again . How sad .

diOndOrAntt
06-12-2005, 02:53 PM
Americans have to mutch money

I wont buy a new tv until mine goes broke :D

Viper
06-13-2005, 12:09 AM
GUNDAMSEED, two things.

1. HD is not standard in Asia. Do some research, it has not penetrated 50% fo the market. Many people are confusing HDTV with DTV. DTV is the one getting more market share because of the upcoming switch to digital broadcast but not every DTV is an HDTV.

2. Nintendo has always had the most powerful or 2nd most powerful console on the market. They aren't downplaying graphics, just that it shouldn't be the sole focal point of each generation. Nintendo said the same thing with their tech specs regarding GC this generation and what happened. Their specs were real world and not theoretical limits and raw polys. They've always done this. GC used ATi and IBM and yet was extremelly cost effective and is more graphically capable than the PS2 and equalls the Xbox on many levels. Once again, Nintendo will be using ATi and IBM. Do you honestly think they will make a system released a year later and not be graphically comparable? Media love to take Nintendo's philosphies and turn them into the worst. Nintendo's goal is to allow the developers to create the games as they are expected to be graphically but give them a little something more, something unique to set it apart.

I just thought of another reason for the lack of HD and after reading that article all the way, I think someone mentioned it too. Frame rate. Try getting these systems to display 1080i(or even p) at 60fps. On the Rev, you can pretty much guarantee 60fps on all games.

So we could be looking at a system that is graphically superior to 360 and runs games at a constant 60 fps. Makes perfect sense to me to not include it IF you know your system will make better looking games anyway. Nintendo saves money, it costs consumers less for hardware and the games look better anyway. The more you think about it, the more logical is sounds.

GUNDAMSEED
06-13-2005, 01:54 PM
viper i did do some research maybe i should have not said asia but in japan hong kong , s. korea most TV can do 720p that is all i am asking for. friends of mine that live in japan say that almost all tv selling over there now can do 720p and they are very cheap . i not asking for nintendo to go for 1080i or 1080p like sony or MS all i am ask for is the option of using 720p.

It's is not what about i think NIntendo they said self said many times that there system will be less powerfully that x box 360 and PS3 not me. Plus if nintendo are coming out they same time as sony which is 2006 i find it very hard that they will be willing to lose money on there system. So if they are going to use a same thing along the line of sony or MS gfx card plus flash memory and sell it for 200 i don't see it happen . nintendo hates lose money on it's systems they always bring out tech when it cheaper .

No matter how powefully your systems is 480p is not going to look as good as 720p that just how things are .All games at they SONY E3 was runing at 720p while they might be frame rates issues at 1080i or p . i don't see it happen with 720p.

Side note i don't think any games will go over 720p for a while ,any way so i am not talking about 1080i or p .sony and Ms just want spec to look nice but devs are not going to go into the 1080 for a good while.

diOndOrAntt
06-13-2005, 03:01 PM
A customer service e-mail informed Nintendo fans last week that the company would not offer high-definition support for Revolution. However, the e-mail was immediately changed to state that Nintendo was undecided about whether or not to support the format. Since then, it appears to have made up its mind and HD is again officially out.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/624/624200p2.html

Z
06-13-2005, 06:34 PM
now, now. You don’t downplay High-Def because Ninty doesn’t support it. The bottom line (and the obvious) is HD has better picture quality. That is why the US will make HDTV laws this year to pressure manufacturers to support it. That is why this whole “HD era” is a hot topic (not just what MS is once said, but others as well). The new format will be releasing by the end of the year. HD has 4-6 better picture quality than DVD.

The fact of the matter is that Rev will not support HD and that IS a negative no matter how you look at it. And if you are going to use ‘IF’ and make exceptions and special conditions, well, you can go on for ever.
Also, this is bad for marketing. Imagine having all three consoles and knowing one of them does not support HD. That is a negative. Now imagine only one of them support the highest HD level there is (PS3) that is a plus. Now imagine that consumers have a choice to try out this new HD platform. They can either buy an expensive HD player, or a cheap one called PS3 that also happens to play games with the highest graphics available. MAJOR plus.

Ninty suffered heavily with Cube when they chose not to support DVD playback and online. If they did, MS would have been a distant 3rd, and Cube would have performed uch better. There is an interview a few months back with th N America Ninty CEO. And she stated that not supporting online and DVD was a mistake. Only a while back Ninty said a game console should be just that, a pure gaming console. If you want to watch DVD, go get a player. And “gamers do not want online”. Now they are literally forced to support them or they would be hammered by the press.

I reiterate that Ninty- though sometimes wacky- are still veterans in gaming. They make some of the best games available. Heck, they create one of the heaviest names, a true classic: Zelda. And if you want to defend them do it right. You don’t sound convincing if you use to much “what IF this and what IF that”. You remind me of the silly comparison between PSP and DS on NNow. That was a core fanboyish article that we were amazed that it was ‘offically’ posted by the site. We talked about it here. It is like one of those TeamXbox articles.
The thing is, one can praise or down play anyone and anything. And you can still be objective and reasonable while doing so.

Whether we like it or not, Ninty is going down hill. Yes they make the most profit, but I am not comparing them to the competition. I am comparing Ninty to the once leader of the gaming industry Ninty. They are selling much less units since SNES.

Roughly figures:
SNES 50M
N64 35M
Cube 20M

Also, their profits are shrinking. They didn’t make as much as expected on neither N64 and Cube.

I don’t know about you but Ninty hasn’t been pleasing 3rd party and general gamers. When gamers see other consoles can do more, they feel they are missing on a lot.

Finally, nobody is attacking Ninty. What for? We are just not that thrilled by the comment the are making. We want to have the best, and we feel losing on some experiences when the keep announcing not supporting the new hot features.

Viper
06-13-2005, 09:38 PM
That is why the US will make HDTV laws this year

Many people are confusing HDTV with DTV.
Like you just did. The government is forcing a switch to digital broadcasting, not High Definition broadcasting. There is a difference and I'm sure you know that. They are easily mixed up sometimes.

Much of the N64 life was a 2 console race, hence the higher sales figures.

You are automatically assuming that HD gives better graphics. You can output PS2 games in HD but since the new consoles have superior graphics, they will still look better in SD. See my point? If they display superior graphics to start with, Xbox360 in HD won't matter, now will it (Yeah, more IF's but since no console is out, IF's are all we have)?

Let's also not forget about the possiblity of a new form of visual display.
http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2 FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=2&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=nintendo& s2=%22fixation+point%22&OS=nintendo+AND+%22fixatio n+point%22&RS=nintendo+AND+%22fixation+point%22

If this gets used, no wonder they don't need HD support.

IF, IF, IF....basically, we should all, myself included, wait until we see the unit in full playable form before we pass bold judgements.

GUNDAMSEED
06-13-2005, 11:19 PM
What games for ps2 can you put in HD viper just wondering . If things would look better in SD why are we moving to HD.

Viper
06-13-2005, 11:38 PM
You can't but that's beside the point. Take a PS2 game, run it at a high resolutition. Now does that mean it will look much better than a graphically superior console?

Easier analogy.

You run Half Life II on an ATi 9600 at very high res of 1800 x 1200. Will it look better than Half Life II running on an ATi X800 at 1024 x 768?

No, the better graphics card will still look better despite the higher resolution of the other card.

With the Rev having a full year of tech advancements after the Xbox360, it's very feasible it will have the better graphics and thus my point becomes more clear.

GUNDAMSEED
06-14-2005, 01:04 AM
viper there's is diff when some thing is made to be 720p compare to letting the tv up scale it for you .

Viper
06-14-2005, 01:12 AM
Guys, you are still only getting a higher resolution, not nothing else. If they rev does better graphics than the 360, HD won't matter.

Z
06-14-2005, 11:44 AM
The government is forcing a switch to digital broadcasting, not High Definition broadcasting. There is a difference and I'm sure you know that

aaaaahhhh…… I stand corrected. Yup, I just mistook the poor yanks with tech freak Japs!

they rev does better graphics than the 360, HD won't matter
obviously.

Personally, I do actually believe Rev should -by all means- sport better graphics than X2. they way things look, Rev might launch a while after PS3 (which is already half a year from X2). But the thing that bothers me is Ninty saying Rev is 3x more powerful than Cube. That really doesn’t sound exciting compared to other consoles’ similar talks:
X2 > 15 Xbox
PS3 > 35PS2
Rev > 3 Cube

Still I do believe Rev will be at least –worst case scenario- equal to X2. and I do see Rev getting more market share than X2 as well (after the time needed to catch up). Ninty is doing a lot of things right this time like DVD playback, online, b/c, amazing design, etc.

Ninty just needs to be that much confident in their speeches and marketing, get gamers excited, and all that.
they are doing that now, but I want more...I want teeth flying

:shock: