PDA

View Full Version : Entertainment system or games system?

NickSCFC
03-28-2004, 03:08 PM
Judging on the direction Sony and Microsoft are taking towards digital media systems and media distribution, how do you think the next generation systems will fit into this? Would you expect PlayStation 3 and Xbox Next to be full blown entertainment systems of simple games consoles?

Sony may be planning to release two versions of PlayStation 3, a games system (fairly cheap, plays all existing PS, PS2 and PS3 games) and an entertainment system (does all of the above plus video/music recording, broadband network extras (video/music downloads, broadband TV, web access).

ASHTRAYBOY
03-28-2004, 03:26 PM
That's a good question.

lots of variables.

Lately Microsoft has made addresses stateing they want to take over the living room. I don't think it's gonna be the xbox2.

Sony usually likes to merge technologies as they have done in the past. I think there will be a console to start with, and Fully featured sony entertainment systems featuring the ps3 chipset later. They've done something like this before i think.

gaming ultima
03-28-2004, 03:58 PM
itle be 2 expensive to make the ps3 a full blown entertainment system like the PSX. they will do the same with the ps3 as with the ps2 and PSX, they will make the ps3 a games console (though of course it will have some cool multimedia features) and later they will make a sort of PSX2

NickSCFC
03-28-2004, 05:11 PM
Possibly there will be a PlayStation 3 games console (with DVD and CD playback), then Sony will go on and use the Cell for what it was intended for, the 21st century entertainment system which will either make or break Sony. Something which does it all and carries the "PlayStation 3" logo (if only to indicate the format used for games) similar to a PSX.

I think we'll call it Sony Entertainment System for now.

Same goes for Microsoft :D

julps31
03-28-2004, 07:16 PM
I think PS3 will launch with basic features like DVD playback, backwords compatibility, and later will launch a version with more features like what they did with the PSX. They also could release a software package that you could download to the harddive if it has one.

ultimategamer2004
03-28-2004, 08:11 PM
I think that the ps3 will be3 a basic entertainment system.

NickSCFC
03-28-2004, 08:15 PM
You mean like PlaStation2 where it plays games, videos and music?

gaming ultima
03-28-2004, 08:41 PM
nick i just saw your avatar pic and ahhhh gamezville, dont say that u actually watch that program. i watch it sometimes when i want a good laugh (at the show not with them)

NickSCFC
03-28-2004, 08:46 PM
It's pretty obvious that the avatar is taking the piss out of GamezVille, anyway, back to the subject.

Kiwi
03-28-2004, 10:56 PM
It seems to have slowly progressed in the direction of an entertainment system. The PS1 played CD's, the PS2 plays CD's and DVD's, the PSX plays CD's, DVD's and various other things. So I think by the time we get to the PS3, they'll be a lot more features that would make it more of an entertainment system that a gaming console. Of course, they will be concentrating mostly on the games, but I guess that they want to target the people who want an all-in-one system for their living room/bedroom/whatever.

gamingmonkey2004
03-28-2004, 11:50 PM
maybe the PS3 would have a radio? i mean Cds DVDs have been taken why not a radio? i dunno its just something stupid i thought of

NickSCFC
03-29-2004, 12:03 AM
Yes it is pretty stupid. Though something like a digital TV tuner would work better as it would receive digital TV and radio stations and would complement the other digital features, it may even work with them such as recording to the hard disc.

insiderrrrr
03-29-2004, 12:04 AM
I think game console has been entertainment system for quite a while already..

NES - Nintendo Entertainment System.
:lol:

NickSCFC
03-29-2004, 12:05 AM
Well Nintendo has always made just basic games consoles so it couldn't be further from the truth.

julps31
03-29-2004, 12:10 AM
If Sony added all that extra stuff to PS3 and it ended up costing $400 I would be mad. Its not neccesary to have a t.v. tuner, or whatever else especially when its already hard to keep the price of the console low. I'm sure it won't come with all those extras.

NickSCFC
03-29-2004, 12:11 AM
Maybe there will be two versions, one similar to PS2 and another more like PSX.

insiderrrrr
03-29-2004, 12:18 AM
I think PS3 will have same kind of features that PS2 offered, plus support for High Definition movie format(considering PS3 might have Blue-Ray Drive), and built in internet connectivity(obviously).
Feature-rich version of PS3 will likely be PSX2...I think

julps31
03-29-2004, 12:26 AM
Maybe there will be two versions, one similar to PS2 and another more like PSX.
Thats exactly what I was thinking. They could have a basic PS3 model that had everything you needed to game with and another version that had extra features and cost more. PS3-EX (extra).

KlawHammer
03-29-2004, 05:02 AM
The PS3 should be a games console and a games console only - ok make it play a few other formats like DVD and CD-i but leave it as it is otherwise.

julps31
03-30-2004, 06:36 PM
Yeah thats how I felt when they started saying that the PS3 was going to have multiple features. It seemed like Sony wanted to take the focus away from the game console and wanted an all in one box that included a game console instead of a game console with extra features. Remember when they were saying the PS3 might be a software program that you would download to a product with a cell processer. I don't know about you but I would rather have a physical console. Thats why I hope Sony releases a seperate box with extra features.

KlawHammer
03-31-2004, 09:39 AM
True, i would prefer the PS3 in hardware format, as for the all-in-one-box, thats what the PSX is there for.

NickSCFC
06-17-2004, 01:45 PM
It's an alternative version of PlayStation 2. With PlayStation 3 we may get a standard games system called PlayStation 3 and a "PS3 compatable" entertainment system, PSX3 maybe?

Makaveli_786
06-17-2004, 01:53 PM
PSX2 you mean?

I think there will be two versions of the PS3, first there will be a basic version of the PS3 which can playback BD-DVD movies, games and CD's like the PS2 basically, it will come with a small HDD(considering blu-rays ability to display high definition movies this thing is going to sell like hotcakes).

Then there will be a PSX2 which will probably feature the tri-head laser Sony invented(can record onto any kind of CD, DVD and Blu-ray) and then maybe that 1 terrabyte HDD which has several tuners so you can record from several channels at once.

Damn the PSX2 could be pretty badass :shock:

NickSCFC
06-17-2004, 01:55 PM
Price wise, 300 for the "games system", 500 for the "entertainment system" maybe?

Makaveli_786
06-17-2004, 02:41 PM
"There might be a normal PS3 for gamers, who just want to play the movies and have better games" explained Reeves, citing the market of those who want to pay "200 Euros for a new generation games machine".

He then stated that PS3 will be "intrinsically linked with PSX" and that there would be a "home server" version, offering "all-singing, all-dancing features with maybe a hard disk drive", retailing for "whatever it might be, 600 or 700 Euros." The high-end product would effectively be the successor to PSX. It would be the media delivery box of justice that Sony is determined to get under your TV in the near future.

Thats like 200 quid for the normal PS3 and probably around 500 for the entertainment system.[/quote]

NickSCFC
06-17-2004, 02:43 PM
A "does everything" box then? Edge were talking about how it could be used to control home security too, a box hidden in your house with only disc drive and sensors on show.

Makaveli_786
06-17-2004, 02:49 PM
There was an article about it in T3, they said cells could communicate.

They said they though there would be a virtual program which basically logged everything you did, if you wanted to turn your toaster on at 2 if it had a cell chip built in your PS3 could tell it to turn the toaster on.

The cells could execute simple commands from anywhere and you could set a program to do something at a certain time.

NickSCFC
06-17-2004, 02:50 PM
More than a mere entertainment system.

Makaveli_786
06-17-2004, 03:06 PM
I wonder what theyd call it :?

NickSCFC
06-17-2004, 04:22 PM
A "Sony" maybe, it's basically a do everything system.

Webmaster
06-24-2004, 10:10 PM
Yeah I think video game consoles have been entertainment systems for a long while and I also think that they are getting better... Better graphics, better sound, better everything... This year is going to be a huge step for video games and video game companies... :o

Domination
06-24-2004, 11:28 PM
To be totally honest (and this is only my own opinion), I don't really see Microsoft building a complete entertaiment system - not because they can't, but because it will require A LOT of money for all of the licenses used for that hardware/feature.If anything is related to a console of theirs in a huge,entertainment way,it will be releated to computers.

Now,someone like Sony,...yeah.I could definitely see them turning a console into a complete entertainment system.I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if they added a radio or TV to their next handheld.

NickSCFC
06-25-2004, 01:38 AM
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/4237/ps3.jpg

NickSCFC
06-25-2004, 01:42 AM
To be totally honest (and this is only my own opinion), I don't really see Microsoft building a complete entertaiment system - not because they can't, but because it will require A LOT of money for all of the licenses used for that hardware/feature.

Why? You can get Media Centre software for Xbox, add a DVD-RW and it's basically a PSX that plays Xbox games instead of PlayStation ones.

sworder
06-25-2004, 01:45 AM
Sorry NickSCFC, but I think that the PS3 will have a lot more GB in the HDD than 100GB.

KlawHammer
06-25-2004, 10:57 AM
250GB atleast.

NickSCFC
08-29-2004, 12:40 AM
Sorry NickSCFC, but I think that the PS3 will have a lot more GB in the HDD than 100GB.
It was an example :?

threepac3
08-30-2004, 08:06 AM
250GB atleast.

Why exactly do u guys think the ps3 needs such a big harddrive? I have never gotten this it really is not neccasay in my opinion that it be so big. Unless its a MMOPRPG i see no need for the game to be installed on the hard drive, ppl don't want that. U really think "Little Tommy" wants to install a game that he rented from BlockBuster before he can play it, i doubt it. Not to mention places that rent out games will be losing out if ppl can just install the game on there ps3. Next thing u know u will be seeing No CD Cracks for ps3.

Harddrives can be small and just straem data from it, then deleting the data after ur dun playing. Having a 250GB inside the PS3 Gamming Console is absolutly ludacris. Maybe inside a PS3 server version but thats still speculation that it will even exist.

EDIT: NOT TO MENTION IT WILL COST SONY, xbox all over again. Expect a bare bones design; for what Sony has said will be in that ps3 so far 250GB harddrive will in no way be included(cost reasons).

kevindenoyette
08-31-2004, 04:16 AM
a 250 GB drive is just retarded,really. All that would be needed is 25GB. I expect sony to throw in a 50GB drive or something, no need for huge amounts.

imported_The_One
08-31-2004, 05:17 AM
PS2 and Xenon will most likely be Entertainment System instead of full blown gaming console. Although I'd personally only want a gaming console... If I wanted to watch DVD, I'd use my all region super slim DVD player. If I want to record something, I'd use my VCR. So yeah, nothing PS3/Xenon brings will be anything that I'd want to pay extra money for... so why not leave out those trashy features and go for a full blown gaming console, and reducing the price for the consumer at the same time?

Domination
08-31-2004, 01:26 PM
To be totally honest (and this is only my own opinion), I don't really see Microsoft building a complete entertaiment system - not because they can't, but because it will require A LOT of money for all of the licenses used for that hardware/feature.

Why? You can get Media Centre software for Xbox, add a DVD-RW and it's basically a PSX that plays Xbox games instead of PlayStation ones.

Nick,Nick,Nick.... You're not listening to me.I said the lisence fees will stand in their way.The PSX (http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/200310/03-1007E/) also has more than just a DVD-RW that seperates it from the Xbox.Microsoft putting all of this into an Xbox would cost them more than it would Sony due to them not being a hardware company.

threepac3
08-31-2004, 06:32 PM

Nick,Nick,Nick.... You're not listening to me.I said the lisence fees will stand in their way.The PSX (http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/200310/03-1007E/) also has more than just a DVD-RW that seperates it from the Xbox.Microsoft putting all of this into an Xbox would cost them more than it would Sony due to them not being a hardware company.

Your quite right...

kevindenoyette
08-31-2004, 09:04 PM
PS2 and Xenon will most likely be Entertainment System instead of full blown gaming console. Although I'd personally only want a gaming console... If I wanted to watch DVD, I'd use my all region super slim DVD player. If I want to record something, I'd use my VCR. So yeah, nothing PS3/Xenon brings will be anything that I'd want to pay extra money for... so why not leave out those trashy features and go for a full blown gaming console, and reducing the price for the consumer at the same time?

I doubt microsoft will put out an all-entertainment system. Especially if sony offers two versions, most people who want a full entertainment system would go for sony, and people who don't have the cash for one flock to nintendo, or the cheaper version of sony's ps3. Microsoft would be shooting themselves in the foot.

I can see where you're coming from though, with the recording and dvd players and such, but some people want the blu ray recording and stuff, just for practicality. Think how many shows you could fit on a blu ray disk.

5ysT3m cR45h3r
09-01-2004, 12:50 AM
Video games are entertainment.

THE PS2 INFORMANT
09-01-2004, 02:43 AM
I have to go with "Entertainment System."

Think about it both the original PlayStation and the PlayStation 2 debuted at the same price.

Diffrence is PlayStation 2 added alot more then just a CD player for the same price.

My thinking is that if they can offer more features for a price that is either the same as an older system or slightly more I am all for it.

Ofcourse the idea of convergence in areas not quite related to games might offend some "fundamentalist" gamers I see the push towards all-in-one devices a sign of changing times and evolving technology in a fiercly competitive marketplace where the contenders must reach ever deeper into their proverbial "bag of tricks" to wow long time consumers who might otherwise become disenchanted with traditional game system offerings.

Besides it isn't like systems that go one step or more beyond typical game systems can't do a bang up job at offering both world class games with the addition of added functionality.

All the skeptics said the simple DVD player would detract from PS2's gaming capabilities in various ways (too many people buying it as a DVD player thereby making it unattractive for developers and other such obsurd nonsense) obviously none of this ever came true as the multi-function "Entertainment system PS2" has more games, more support, and more sales then anything else including a traditional game system from one of the industrie's forbearers.