PDA

View Full Version : IGN, Long winded reviews?

Ocelot9
06-03-2005, 02:00 PM
I really don't mean to complain, I really like ign.com. Yeah the reviews at times are a little high, but I usually find them honest and accurate. However, over the last few years, I've noticed the review pages have grown from 1-2 pages to 3-4 and now it seems there are as many as 5 to a whopping 7 pages for a review on a single game. The Jade Empire review is one of them, 6 freakin pages of criticism...WOW!
I didn't even read it...too long! I am finding they are getting into way to much detail and drone on and on about one thing but leave another with nary sentence. I usually just skip to the "closing comments" and the rating board to get the scoop!

Whats your take?

Alpha Rioja
06-03-2005, 04:34 PM
I think when it comes to reviews previews and even news you want to keep it to the bare facts. Too many people nowadays insert their opinions into their articles. Well... no one cares what they think they just want the facts of the game. Opinions are nice but keep it to a secition of it's own that way uncaring people can skip over it.

Ocelot9
06-03-2005, 05:40 PM
I think when it comes to reviews previews and even news you want to keep it to the bare facts. Too many people nowadays insert their opinions into their articles. Well... no one cares what they think they just want the facts of the game. Opinions are nice but keep it to a secition of it's own that way uncaring people can skip over it.

I don't mind the opinions even, I just find I don't have the patients to sit and read 6 pages of material on one game, I usually just skim over it anyway!

Oh well, better to have too much as opposed to too little!

Vishus
06-03-2005, 06:19 PM
The cube section of ign doesn't do the extremely long reviews. They find it unprofessional. I agree with that. They spend pages saying a praising prayer that we don't need to hear. The real problem is that people are that stupid to not tell the difference between oppinion and fact.

WadeTyhon
06-10-2005, 11:35 PM
I don't know who exactly they're writing their 8-page long Fable reviews to. Most people just look at the overall score anyways, a select few bothering to skim the review break-down. I completely agree with your assesment. This is one category where Gamespot one-ups IGN. I may not always agree with their reviews, but at least they're only 2, maybe 3 pages tops.

Of course, when you actually look at the pages... most of the room nowadays is wasted with pictures and advertisements anyways. So their length is deceptive, and could be cut back 3 or 4 pages if they removed the huge pics.