PDA

View Full Version : Shogun Warrior Q&A

Bloodman
04-30-2005, 02:08 AM
IGN: When did the development begin on Shogun Warrior?

Mark Brown: We started production in October 2004.

IGN: What other games have the development team been involved in creating on other platforms?

Mark Brown: Working under the Box Clever interactive name, this is their first title. The team has worked on titles such as "Reign of Fire" and "Razor Freestyle Scooter" together before this title. The team has also worked on projects such as "State Of Emergency", "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire", "World Cup 98", "Aladdin", "Xenon 2" and many other titles.

IGN: What was the inspiration for the creation of Shogun Warrior?

Mark Brown: The time period is just fascinating. Films like "Ran" and "Kagemusha" are obvious inspirations, but there are really too many books and movies to list.

IGN: Why develop a strategy game as the team's first Nintendo DS game?

Mark Brown: The Nintendo DS as a platform seemed like a natural for the strategy genre. We thought it was about time that this type of game made its way to handheld systems and with the touch screen, we had the opportunity to make something that will play very much like a real time strategy game on a PC. This was too tempting to pass up. The ideas started flowing and we soon knew that this was a game we had to make.

IGN: What elements of Shogun Warrior are you particularly proud of?

Mark Brown: We put a considerable amount of thought into the way we would make use of the DS Touch screen. I am particularly proud of the wide variety of command options that we crammed into a simple control scheme that allows the player to issue orders and manage troops with ease. The way our strategic map can relay a large amount of information in a simple, organized way works rather nicely. Hopefully this will give the player a very smooth gaming experience.

IGN: What sort of difficulties did you go through to pitch an original, non-licensed Nintendo game to publishers?

Mark Brown: Being put in that situation is always challenging, but I believe the DS, being a new platform, offers a lot of opportunities to new IPs that can really push people's ideas about gaming in a new direction.

IGN: How does the single player campaigns differ from playing this game against other opponents on other Nintendo DS systems?

Mark Brown: In the single player campaign, the player will choose one of two brothers, each on a quest to unite ancient Japan under their banner. To complete this task, they must use a mix of military strategy and diplomacy while contending with their sibling's forces throughout. Armies grow in experience and in number with each new victory.

In wireless multiplayer mode, players will band together in teams and control sets of troops and coordinate their actions to achieve victory. A variety of battle maps and scenarios to choose from will keep them coming back for more.

IGN: Will the game support the single cartridge multiplayer function of the Nintendo DS, or will each player require their own copy?

Mark Brown: Unfortunately, due to the amount of information we need to move around, single cartridge multiplayer is not feasible.

IGN: With the talk of the Nintendo DS going online by the Summer of this year, has the development team given any thought to this element for Shogun Warriors?

Mark Brown: While we have looked into this, time constraints will mean this feature will most likely not be included.

IGN: After Shogun Warriors, what's next for the development team?

Mark Brown: We are looking into several options at present and we have some really cool ideas, but none we can talk about yet. Stay tuned!

http://dsmedia.ign.com/ds/image/article/608/608611/shogun-warrior-the-lost-army-20050429014709707.jpg
http://dsmedia.ign.com/ds/image/article/608/608611/shogun-warrior-the-lost-army-20050429014708535.jpg

http://ds.ign.com/articles/608/608611p1.html

Bloodman's notes:
I'm somewhat dissapointed about this title not going online and single card play is in the trash with this which also make me sad. But other than that, this game looks like its going to have plenty of reply value and a great single player. It really seems to have everything a great game needs.

Eidorian
04-30-2005, 02:27 AM
I don't mind the non-single cart multiplayer. You can't have it with every game. I can't wait for this game.