PDA

View Full Version : Testing the DS Range

MikeFu
12-29-2004, 02:39 AM
Hi everybody, I did a little searching through these forums but never found anything that really covered this particular topic (and I am sorry if I missed it) so I thought I would post this. Today, my friend and I wanted to see how far teh DS could go while he and I used pictochat. We dsicovered taht if there is hard objects like houses in the way the range will drasticlly increase. But, if you get out in the open, it goes MUCH MUCH further than the 100ft Nintendo said its range was. We were able to use pictochat over 200 meters away from each other in a fairly large amount of wind. What I am getting at is, if you have not expermented yet, try it out. The DS range is much further than you think. I am gonna measure the distance tommorow in feet and let you guys know just how far it really was.

On another note: I have a small theory about bouncing (relaying) DS signals so it can go further. I am sure someone ehre has thought a little bit about that. Share your thoughts. Or, if you want, you can delete this post if you find it meaningless.

OnBake Platinum
12-29-2004, 02:45 AM
hey, welcome to the forums.

My friend and I tried too. Me in my room, and him backing up untill he was outside. He kept entering and leaving the pictochat room and it coundn't reach out to the trailer where it would be most useful. I was pretty disappionted.

MikeFu
12-29-2004, 02:52 AM
That is because you need to have a direct line of sight. If solid objects like houses and walls are in the way, it destroys the range. You just have to test it out. It can go VERY, VERY far. Even on a cold, pretty windy day. Its all about making sure everything is in line with each other.

hey, welcome to the forums.

My friend and I tried too. Me in my room, and him backing up untill he was outside. He kept entering and leaving the pictochat room and it coundn't reach out to the trailer where it would be most useful. I was pretty disappionted.

bobo_ess
12-29-2004, 02:57 AM
It would be nice if they madesomething to make the range go farther a couple hundred metres.

MikeFu
12-29-2004, 03:11 AM
Well, whatever there doing with Demasked I am sure ahs alot to deal with it.

Does anyone here know anythign about possibly bouncing signals. Becuase I was thinking, could DS possibly act as one between Two other DS's. What I mean is, if a particular DS would normally be out of range from the other ds, what if you put another DS into the middle. Could it then relay the signal?
heres a very bad diagram tryign to describe what I am saying.

1=Nintendo DS
2=The middle nintendo DS (the relayer)
*=Out of range

1----->*<------1 (normally)

1 ------>2<------1 (relay signal

Flaccid Acid
12-29-2004, 03:21 AM
My next door neibour is getting one soon, (the store was sold out for christmas) so I hope that the DS can get through the walls of both of our houses , and across the about 12 foot space between them

DarkCloud515
12-29-2004, 03:35 AM
Well, whatever there doing with Demasked I am sure ahs alot to deal with it.

Does anyone here know anythign about possibly bouncing signals. Becuase I was thinking, could DS possibly act as one between Two other DS's. What I mean is, if a particular DS would normally be out of range from the other ds, what if you put another DS into the middle. Could it then relay the signal?
heres a very bad diagram tryign to describe what I am saying.

1=Nintendo DS
2=The middle nintendo DS (the relayer)
*=Out of range

1----->*<------1 (normally)

1 ------>2<------1 (relay signal

And so Demasked begins...

Flaccid Acid
12-29-2004, 03:56 AM
what would happen if three people where in pictochat chatroom (people now hereon refered to as A, B and C. A and B stand 50 feet apart in a open field and the connection is strong. C stand also 50 feet away from A and B, making a triangle. Then C joines their pictochat chatroom, C, the begins to move so that he is now 50 feet away from B and 100 feet away from A, so their in a straing line, and C started walked staight so eventualy, he was in range of B but out of range of A. Would A continue to be able to see his messages or would A or C just leave the chatroom?
Anyone have a answer?

MikeFu
12-29-2004, 01:08 PM
Zeldaman67, thats exactly what I mean: :laugh: I just could not figure out how to phrase it. THanks dude.

Backlash
12-30-2004, 03:16 AM
Well, me and each of my two brothers have a DS, so we could try that out, but I don't think it would work for most games, since that would involve having the DS in the middle retransmitting the data, which would use twice the bandwidth, and some games already are using lots of bandwidth. SM 64 doesn't run too well with one game pack.

The thing is, it is possible to program a game that way, it just depends on whether the developers really want to put forth that effort, since it is potentially confusing since you're dealing with the original broadcasted signal, then rebroadcasting it, AND making sure that the rebroadcasted signal doesn't interfere with the originally broadcasted signal (like the original DS picking it up and thinking it is a separate signal), and then recieving it. Remember that whole process has to go three different ways, and that's just in the simplest of cases. Think about 4 people, or sixteen people. See? It can get very confusing for the programmers. Also, on my previous point, rebroadcasting the signal uses more bandwidth, and rebroadcasting 16 signals would probably be too much.