PDA

View Full Version : COD Black Ops 2 outed by Amazon FR, Gameblog reports on it gets blacklisted by Activi

solidsnakejej
02-17-2012, 02:43 PM
A listing for COD Black Ops 2 was listed on Amazon France for a few hours, a few sites picked up on the story and Activision demanded that they'd remove their stories, most did. Gameblog did not and now have been blacklisted by Activision.

http://www.gameblog.fr/news/27499-activision-blackliste-gameblog

Viper
02-17-2012, 02:48 PM
Good for you, Gameblog.

Crazybone126
02-17-2012, 03:27 PM
Blacklist them for what? Didn't they already confirm it was coming anyway, so what's the problem here?

solidsnakejej
02-17-2012, 03:37 PM
No, they haven't confirmed Black Ops 2 is in development just a Call of Duty game.

masteratt
02-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Good for you, Gameblog.Why is it good for them? It's not like they are exposing some epic fraud. They are just being little stubborn about taking down news about what everyone knows is coming. Let Activision announce it in their own time :/

Anyway, Treyarch made the best CoD for me. Still loving the hell out of BlackOps, so bring their next game on.

Viper
02-17-2012, 04:24 PM
Why is it good for them? It's not like they are exposing some epic fraud. They are just being little stubborn about taking down news about what everyone knows is coming. Let Activision announce it in their own time :/

Anyway, Treyarch made the best CoD for me. Still loving the hell out of BlackOps, so bring their next game on.
It's good for them because they aren't bending to the whim of Activision for an arcane demand.

All they did was report what they found on another web site.

You think Activision would have told IGN or Gamespot they'll blacklist them if they don't take it down? Hell no. Gameblog stuck by their dedication to their readers over the access of free review games.

masteratt
02-17-2012, 04:31 PM
It's good for them because they aren't bending to the whim of Activision for an arcane demand.

All they did was report what they found on another web site.

You think Activision would have told IGN or Gamespot they'll blacklist them if they don't take it down? Hell no. Gameblog stuck by their dedication to their readers over the access of free review games.IGN and Gamespot are professional enough not to report it in the first place I would assume. Or if they did would just take it down when Activision requests it. This is not an opinion piece or it doesn't have anything to do with being a whipping boy of the big company, it's simply to do with respecting when a company wants to announce their own freakin' game.

You say it's an arcane request but they plan all their marketing around it.

If the news is still up on IGN and Gamespot though, then you have a point but a very quick scan through their site doesn't show any Blops2 news.

There is a fine line between standing up for what you believe (i.e: if it was an opinion piece of something Activision didn't like) and being unprofessional and stubborn.

solidsnakejej
02-17-2012, 04:41 PM
We see these reports all the time, how many times do you see a game outed by ESRB. Hell the PS3 slim was outed by Amazon and everyone picked up on it.

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/720100/gta-3-and-gta-vice-city-are-heading-to-the-psn-as-ps2-classics-thanks-esrb/

and professional in games journalism? Really?

Journalist are there to report on anything they find within their field. This is the same as every rumor that goes out. Like Kotaku with the MW3 and Mass Effect leaks, did they get blacklisted by EA and Activision?

masteratt
02-17-2012, 04:47 PM
Do you work at Activision? No. They might have their reasons, we don't know. Maybe they feel Blops2 news spreading will effect MW3 DLC sales or whatever, we don't know.

All I'm saying is, I feel they are right. If they don't want Blops2 news, don't post them, who cares. It's not like there is great detail or it's an amazing article. Just "blops2 coming leaks amazon".

GTA remakes aren't even in the same ballpark, it doesn't effect anything Take2 is currently doing. Not many gamers are going to go "oh shit I WAS going to buy MaxPayne3 but instead I'll wait for re-releases of GTA3 and VC on PSN.".

Viper
02-17-2012, 04:48 PM
Exactly, Justin.

And IGN and Gamespot don't report everything anyway. They've slipped in coverage a lot the past few years.

Point is things get leaked all the time and rarely ever does a take down demand get sent out. Look at the stuff we reported about Sony with that insider we had. Sony never asked us to stop. And we do have working relationships with most major publishers including Sony.

If Acti wants to take out their "oh shit, they fucked up our marketing plans" frustration out on anyone, hit up Amazon France who should know better than publish a game page for a product not even announced yet.

And they whole 'I was going to buy X game but will now wait' doesn't fly either since a CoD game is knowingly released every single year anyway.

solidsnakejej
02-17-2012, 04:54 PM
Do you work at Activision? No. They might have their reasons, we don't know. Maybe they feel Blops2 news spreading will effect MW3 DLC sales or whatever, we don't know.

All I'm saying is, I feel they are right. If they don't want Blops2 news, don't post them, who cares. It's not like there is great detail or it's an amazing article. Just "blops2 coming leaks amazon".

Oh, come on, everyone and their grandmas know that there will be a new COD every November. It ain't gonna do shit to the sells. If their to stupid to understand that well that is another thing entirely.

The GTA stuff is just the one of the top of my head that I could find, there are more.

masteratt
02-17-2012, 04:55 PM
I don't get your argument there. Just because other companies slip up and don't cover their leaks, doesn't mean Activision is wrong to do so.
Most are calling for more professionalism in the gaming space, this is how you get to it. Not "oh a leak happened, oh well".

As for your specific example, it falls into rumours and speculation. Not a concrete leak from a retailer.

And I don't know which excuses fly or don't. As I said, I don't know their reasons, I might have been way off with that, as it was just a guess.

solidsnakejej: See third paragraph of this post, that was just a guess reason on my part. Not why Activision really did it. So a bit pointless to continue on that front as we won't ever really know.

solidsnakejej
02-17-2012, 05:05 PM
The argument is that Activision is trying to bully small sites into doing something that doesn't actually harm anything. They didn't do it against Kotaku when they leak MW3 info, they still have that info up (http://kotaku.com/5801226/the-modern-warfare-3-files-exclusive-first-details-on-the-biggest-game-of-2011).

What would you say if CNN, NY Times,or any news organization were threaten to take down certain information by a company or the government? Leaks happen in all areas, Journalist report on them, that is what happens.

Crazybone126
02-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Doesn't really matter to me, we all know they are going to announce it next month, then have a trailer in April/May during the NBA playoffs. It's been the case for the last three years. Call of Duty is leaked EVERY year. EVERY YEAR! And on top of that, it's ALWAYS in the February/March time frame. ALWAYS.

It's coming to the point that they shouldn't even waste all that money marketing the game anymore. When your average consumer says "There's always next November" when they play a shoddy new entry into the series, I think the job has been fulfilled. Time to put some assets elsewhere. How about into the game itself because it's obvious they don't. Otherwise, the same issues wouldn't be present every release.

I also wonder how this is all going to work out. I'm sure the Wii U is going to have this as a launch title. Would the Wii U version use a next-gen engine (there are reports there's a next-gen CoD engine in development) or will it just be a port of the 360 (probably).

GTA remakes aren't even in the same ballpark

Each Call of Duty isn't a remake of a previous entry in the series? It sure feels, looks, and seems that way.

Later this year, I'll be playing on a brand new console with brand new games. I think it's safe to say, me and Call of Duty are pretty much done. I didn't bother buying or even playing MW3, and the same is more than likely to follow this year. They bulldozed the series into a hole. The day's going to come when people think "Oh shit, I'm playing the same game every year" and sales will begin to fall just as they did with the Guitar Hero series. And look where that series went. Guitar Hero was just as popular in its heyday. Then Activision said "Let's do yearly releases..." And a couple years after that, it was gone. Actually, towards its demise, Guitar Hero was releasing semi-annually. And also how they TREAT Call of Duty doesn't help it either. Compare how DICE and Whoever the hell is developing Call of Duty interact with their fans and take in their requests etc. It's atrocious how the Call of Duty side's business model is.

masteratt
02-17-2012, 05:09 PM
Again, rumour and speculation. Kotaku says
Multiple sources in that article. It's way too wide and open and falls into that category.

This case is a concrete leak by the retailer.

Sheesh guys this really blew out of hand, I am not here arguing for [or against as you guys see it] the rights of journalists or whatever. I am just saying IN THIS SPECIFIC CASE, Activision's actions are professional and in my opinion, correct.

Crazybone's reply just makes me think people are reacting this way because it's the devil that is ACTIVISION and they spawn the evil that is COD

solidsnakejej
02-17-2012, 05:16 PM
The Kotaku leak was confirm by Infinity Ward later in the day:http://kotaku.com/5801682/some-info-in-modern-warfare-3-leak-still-accurate-some-not-infinity-ward-says

And in this case it's just the existence of a game we all knew was coming that is all. Nothing about the story, nothing about the gameplay, just the existence which we'll know in the next couple of months.

masteratt
02-17-2012, 05:18 PM
Yeah exactly. So just leave it to Activision to do it officially, then post it. They are not asking for much here.

solidsnakejej
02-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Well Joystiq has now posted the news (http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/17/report-black-ops-2-listing-spotted-on-amazon-france/), let see if they get blacklisted

Edit and Gamespot:http://www.gamespot.com/news/call-of-duty-black-ops-2-outed-by-amazon-report-6350628

Eurogamer:http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-17-call-of-duty-black-ops-2-listed-on-amazon-france-report

Crazybone126
02-17-2012, 05:22 PM
Of course they won't. They're too big of a site who's reviews are crucial to them on Metacritic. They probably pay them to do good reviews anyway though. Come on here, it's ACTIVISION.

So there it is Masteratt. I don't like Activision. And don't forget, I've talked to their PR managers and see how they actually are that the general public doesn't see.

Viper
02-17-2012, 05:23 PM
Justin...go post it here. See if we get blacklisted.

masteratt
02-17-2012, 05:24 PM
Well Joystiq has now posted the news (http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/17/report-black-ops-2-listing-spotted-on-amazon-france/), let see if they get blacklisted

Edit and Gamespot:http://www.gamespot.com/news/call-of-duty-black-ops-2-outed-by-amazon-report-6350628

Eurogamer:http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-17-call-of-duty-black-ops-2-listed-on-amazon-france-report
As I said from the get-go. If these stay up, then I'm with you 100%. We'll see.

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

And out of curiosity, say you [e-mpire] do post it and Activision asks you to remove it, you won't?

solidsnakejej
02-17-2012, 05:37 PM
And out of curiosity, say you [e-mpire] do post it and Activision asks you to remove it, you won't?

I don't know our relationship with Activision, tokoshi_x could probably tell you more, but I don't remember much from their side so they can't really threaten us by not giving us stuff or banning us from events if they don't give/ invite us anyways.

If it does get pulled I won't be the one doing it.

masteratt
02-17-2012, 05:43 PM
Well yeah of course, in that case I wouldn't pull it either. 'That case' being Activision doesn't give much content to you guys.

You guys should also add Activision France acted on all of this. Maybe they see journalism and leaks different.

Joystiq says Activision US didn't respond yet. Good bet Activision France went rogue and will be shunned by the rest of the company.

Crazybone126
02-17-2012, 05:46 PM
Actually, our relationship is quite well with Activision. BUT...if you read my below statement from the previous page.

I don't like Activision. And don't forget, I've talked to their PR managers and see how they actually are that the general public doesn't see.

To put it short, they don't like speaking to anyone about anything. They'll talk to you for a little bit, then you'll ask a CERTAIN question, then they'll try to convince you that they aren't available. It's like Jehova's Witnesses. I'm the Jehova's Witness and they're the people pretending they're not home when you can see them standing right there in your face.

They'll send you review copies, but they won't speak to you if you have a question.

Viper
02-17-2012, 05:47 PM
I don't know our relationship with Activision, tokoshi_x could probably tell you more, but I don't remember much from their side so they can't really threaten us by not giving us stuff or banning us from events if they don't give/ invite us anyways.

If it does get pulled I won't be the one doing it.
Activision is actually one of our better partners.

Back when I was an active reviewer, they sent me 6 Wii and 6 DS titles at once for review.

masteratt
02-17-2012, 05:50 PM
To put it short, they don't like speaking to anyone about anything. They'll talk to you for a little bit, then you'll ask a CERTAIN question, then they'll try to convince you that they aren't available. It's like Jehova's Witnesses. I'm the Jehova's Witness and they're the people pretending they're not home when you can see them standing right there in your face.

They'll send you review copies, but they won't speak to you.
Aren't most companies like that? (not a rhetorical question). Must be annoying to get probed about stuff you are not going to say 100s times every day.

Activision is actually one of our better partners.

Back when I was an active reviewer, they sent me 6 Wii and 6 DS titles at once for review.
IN THIS SPECIFIC case, I for one wouldn't throw that relationship away. Just to say "blops2 is coming".

I would burn them to the ground if they reacted like this on an opinion piece or a review or something though, but again, and I can't stress it enough, in this specific case; it really seems like ones who are not complying are being stubborn little babies.

It's a give and take partnership after all, and you guys should respect that.

solidsnakejej
02-17-2012, 05:54 PM
You guys should also add Activision France acted on all of this. Maybe they see journalism and leaks different.

Joystiq says Activision US didn't respond yet. Good bet Activision France went rogue and will be shunned by the rest of the company.

I made sure to say it was Activision's French branch that acted on it., whoops must not of saved it when I did that.
IGN (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1218982p1.html) has put the story up as well.

masteratt
02-17-2012, 05:57 PM
Yeah your article says Activision France blacklisted but doesn't specify who requested the take down.

Crazybone126
02-17-2012, 05:58 PM
Aren't most companies like that? (not a rhetorical question). Must be annoying to get probed about stuff you are not going to say 100s times every day.

IN THIS SPECIFIC case, I for one wouldn't throw that relationship away. Just to say "blops2 is coming".

I would burn them to the ground if they reacted like this on an opinion piece or a review or something though, but again, and I can't stress it enough, in this specific case; it really seems like ones who are not complying are being stubborn little babies.

It's a give and take partnership after all, and you guys should respect that.

Believe it or not, most companies are NOT like that. Some continue speaking to you to make sure you're enjoying their game and that everything's going alright. Like Capcom for instance. They seriously care about what you think and how you feel. They're like an overbearing mother. Sometimes it's just like "Okay, leave me alone now. Everything's fine." Out of all the people I've spoken with (LucasArts, Sega, High Voltage, Red Fly, Warner Bros, Capcom, and others) Activision is the ONLY ONE who behaves like that. The only one. Electronic Arts doesn't even behave like them.

masteratt
02-17-2012, 05:59 PM
Fair enough.

solidsnakejej
02-17-2012, 06:00 PM
Another french site xboxygen is in the same position as Gameblog(neogaf post (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35228681&postcount=99)), the guy added that Amazon actually emailed customers (http://www.xboxygen.com/IMG/png/call-of-duty-black-ops-2.png) about pre-ordering it.

Viper
02-17-2012, 06:41 PM
Now it's blowing up in Activisions face.

A Linked In profile has also outed the game and many news reports are now reporting more on the fact that Activision acted like an spoiled brat than about the game itself being leaked.

tokoshi_x
02-17-2012, 06:45 PM
We're on good terms with Activision, at least with thier PR folks. Not great though, as we don't really get invites to events and all that. Received nothing in terms of taking down a story or threats of any kind. At this point, I see no point in Activision trying to further hide the fact that a Blops 2 game is coming, though it is still a rumor. So I believe we're at least in the clear.

So good job solidsnakejej on the news post.

Crazybone126
02-17-2012, 06:56 PM
Now it's blowing up in Activisions face.

A Linked In profile has also outed the game and many news reports are now reporting more on the fact that Activision acted like an spoiled brat than about the game itself being leaked.

That's perfect!

It's this kind of behavior that gets a company boycotted by the media. You want the media to stop talking about you or what you're doing? This is the way to do it.

AC!D
02-17-2012, 06:57 PM
I cant wait for this company to fall flat on their face. I cant think of a single game i want from them this year and im glad for that.

Crazybone126
02-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Wow. IGN's about to get in trouble. They just posted this on Twitter.

RT if you are excited for Black Ops 2; bring it on @Treyarch!
RT if you want Activision to STOP MAKING CALL OF DUTY GAMES!

And with their recent article about Call of Duty, I think Activision must have stopped giving IGN their paycheck.

Luis
02-17-2012, 09:39 PM
This would be the most surprising news ever.

Smokey
02-18-2012, 06:03 AM
you were fighting a lost battle on this forum Master...

AC!D
02-18-2012, 07:37 AM
you were fighting a lost battle on this forum Master...

This isnt really an attack on COD. Its an attack on the parent company and the way they are running their best IP's including COD into the ground and milking their supporters who invest in all their products to the limit. They have become the big bullies of the industry and have contributed nothing to get excited about compared to other publishers over the last few years. They are the old EA who got a nice kick up the backside with a great new CEO and now look at their output year now. I think all of us on here just want the same from Activision. Clearly you get two kinds of CEO's at any company in the games industry. One that will do anything for short term gains for their own selfish benefit and then you get those that nurture a company for short and long term potential revenue streams. Bobby Kotick is going to leave such a mess for the next CEO at Activision and he will retire with a big golden parachute and the tons and tons and tons of shares he payed himself as bonuses.

The same goes for Bethesda Softworks. They are the two of the shittest publishers in the games industry with absolutely no integrity.

Crazybone126
02-21-2012, 03:39 PM
Activision has denied reports of blacklisting a European blog, and argued the situation was simply a misunderstanding.

"Activision doesn't blacklist journalists" a PR agency told GamesBeat on behalf of the company.

"We believe this was a misunderstanding and are working towards a resolution."

The Call Of Duty publisher faced the accusations of blacklisting last week, after French site Gameblog.fr reported on sightings of a Call Of Duty: Black Ops 2 listing on Amazon.

The game, while hardly a surprise to anyone with even a basic knowledge of triple-A franchises, has not yet been formally announced, and the news story sent the Activision PR machine into a frenzy. A representative for the company contacted Gameblog editor Grégory Szriftgiser a number of times, asking him to pull the story. He refused, at which point the company uninvited the site from a press event they had been supposed to attend.

"They also made clear that the relationship was to be severed, all advertisement plans cancelled, games not sent, and invitations to later events cancelled as well," Szriftgiser told Kotaku.

"I explained that if this was their decision indeed, we had to inform our readers of it, and would do so later in the day."

The practice of public relations blacklisting by game publishers is one that is often suspected by media outlets, but rarely admitted to by the PR representatives themselves.

They're only saying this now because sites like Kotaku, IGN, and Destructoid also decided to report the leak and also shamed Activision by calling out their blacklisting schemes. They'll try to push around the little guy, but when the big guys, who show up on their Metacritic step in, it's all apologetic. Tactless, I tell you! Tactless!

Segitz
02-21-2012, 03:48 PM
Sony once blacklisted Kotaku for leaking Home and LBP... these morons (ie. big companies) always underestimate the power of the "communities".

Viper
02-21-2012, 03:54 PM
The messed up part of it was that not only was it not that blog that broke leaked the info but the info was never really secret to begin with.