PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday, Sega Dreamcast!

Suzuki_Fanboy
09-09-2009, 08:51 AM
10 years old and still the best console money can buy.

cf-MK4599A8

i owe my old namesake (suzukifanboy) to the creator of this game, nay, this monumental artistic achievement.

btw, have you seen any sailors?

Luis
09-09-2009, 09:34 AM
And to celebrate the anniversary:

New Dreamcast game announced: Rush Rush Rally Racing (http://bitmob.com/index.php/mobfeed/new-dreamcast-game-announced.html)

All-new 2D Sonic rolling out in 2010 (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6216991.html) (not for Dreamcast though)

BahnNZ
09-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Bah humbug!

This will piss you off:

Al-P2jMz0EM

Shen Mue named second worst game of all time. By G4 Tech TV, who'd know because they're the worst TV channel of all time.

I don't think it is at all, they're just being dicks, which is what they do.

Suzuki_Fanboy
09-09-2009, 10:31 AM
yeah, i don't think G4's opinion of shenmue has any affect on mine and i don't think their opinion on ANY game has any real merit because the channel is complete trash.

BahnNZ
09-09-2009, 10:43 AM
New game for Dreamcast, Rush Rush Rally

i42KijPx6Vs

zero 7
09-09-2009, 11:06 AM
shenmue is one of my favourite games ever i loved the story and the full 3D environment sadly though we may never see how the story ends

Dreamcast is my favourite console of all time no console wil ever match d.c in terms of games Shenmue jet set radio powerstone crazy taxi soul calibur msr sonic aventure loads more

amazing system and an amazing end for sega in the console market

Segitz
09-09-2009, 11:16 AM
Lol, that Rush Rush Rallye looks EXACTLY like Nitro on the Amiga (LOVED that game, btw).

curryking1
09-09-2009, 02:31 PM
G4 should die already.

Woot to the classic consoles getting love today :)

dork
09-09-2009, 03:47 PM
http://i29.tinypic.com/e5hfso.jpg http://i31.tinypic.com/snmn4j.jpg

<3

D3adcell
09-09-2009, 04:21 PM
I watched screw attacks top 10 dreamcast games of all time and then i got sad that sega won't be releasing another console. The dreamcast was so bad ass.....I have a lot of fond memories. Being the first really online system and having a ton of excellent games. Why the fuck did nobody buy one?

Fats
09-09-2009, 04:26 PM
I'm looking to buy another retro console. My <3 is telling me to get a Dreamcast already, my random head is telling me to get a 3DO just for the sheer randomness of owning one. :P

Suzuki_Fanboy
09-09-2009, 04:37 PM
I watched screw attacks top 10 dreamcast games of all time and then i got sad that sega won't be releasing another console. The dreamcast was so bad ass.....I have a lot of fond memories. Being the first really online system and having a ton of excellent games. Why the fuck did nobody buy one?

the ps2 could play DVDs and the dreamcast couldn't. it's pretty much that simple. a lot of people blame it on how easy it was to pirate DC games, but i'm not so sure that's the case.

fats, GET A DC! you'd really regret getting a 3DO, i think.

Fats
09-09-2009, 04:53 PM
Oh I know that I would. I should probably buy consoles that I'll play at first, then go for the more obscure ones.

I think there's more to it that the PS2 being able to play DVD's. I always found the Dreamcast more of a hardcore gamers console than the casual games you'd find on the PS2. When you think about all the big hitters that came out on the PS2, the Dreamcast never really had a chance.

Pro A.
09-09-2009, 05:03 PM
And as a footnote, happy birthday as well to Final Fantasy VIII, which come out on the same day as the Sega Dreamcast. Think its fair to say that both have been underappreciated by the gaming community at large, fair or not.

And, arguably the greatest system of all-time, the SNES, turns 18 today. Ah, memories...

Luis
09-09-2009, 10:22 PM
the ps2 could play DVDs and the dreamcast couldn't. it's pretty much that simple. a lot of people blame it on how easy it was to pirate DC games, but i'm not so sure that's the case.

It released at pretty much the same time as FFVIII for PS1, which took a lot of attention from it. EA never got to develop or release games for it, which was killer. Then the PS2 launched. It never stood a chance due to poor timing and not having the right games and features.

I would have liked to own it though.

zero 7
09-09-2009, 10:58 PM
It released at pretty much the same time as FFVIII for PS1, which took a lot of attention from it. EA never got to develop or release games for it, which was killer. Then the PS2 launched. It never stood a chance due to poor timing and not having the right games and features.

I would have liked to own it though.

You can pick them up for about 30 euro these days on ebay with a few games thrown in trust me get one you won't regret it

Kiwi
09-09-2009, 11:06 PM
And as a footnote, happy birthday as well to Final Fantasy VIII, which come out on the same day as the Sega Dreamcast. Think its fair to say that both have been underappreciated by the gaming community at large, fair or not.

Nah, FFVIII was overappreciated. That game was arse of the highest calibre :P

But happy birthday to the Dreamcast! I've been thinking about getting another one for a while.

SadPanda
09-09-2009, 11:56 PM
I loved my awesome black one that i got thanks to sega sports! ... although i sold my white one to Skull Kid

XboxEvolved
09-10-2009, 01:37 AM
Yeah I would say Dreamcast is at least one of my 5 favorite consoles of all time and the beginning of me being hardcore into games. It's a misconception that the Dreamcat sold completely "bad" as in United States it sold very well, and within a 2 year lifespan it sold 10 million which wasn't bad at all considering that in GameCube's 4 year lifespan it only sold 21 million (and 24million in Xbox's).

I think it was a few factors that killed off Dreamcast. I don't think FFVIII had much to do with it, other than showing the PS1 still had legs well into 2000. The threat of DVD on PS2 made the DC a less attractive thing, and probably was a good portion of the reaosn why it died. I personally think it had more to do with how shitty Sega was ran and not having enough money. Otherwise if say Nintendo or Microsoft launched the Dreamcast, I think it could have very well easily been a second place console last gen.

I also question this theory that EA games not making titles for it hurt it, especially when a few times Sega Sports titles managed to outsell the compeition on systems that EA supported. EA supported the 3DO, how many days did that one last?

D3adcell
09-10-2009, 01:44 AM
You don't think EA's lack of support hurt the dreamcast? How so?

I don't think any sega football game has outsold madden on ps2 or xbox. Maybe NBA 2k series has outsold live, but don't think 2k football has outsold madden.

Hisham
09-10-2009, 03:03 AM
The dreamcast had the best launch of any system ever. If it hadn't been crushed by bad timing and the PS2, I firmly believe it would have been my favorite console last gen. Maybe even surpassing the SNES in terms of my favorite console of all time. Hell, I still crack it out from time to time to play Powerstone 2 with some buddies or some random obscure Capcom fighter that was only released on the Dreamcast. I loved the dreamcast so much. Has to be my 4th favorite console ever made.

Powerstone 1 and 2, Project Justice and Tech Romancer need to be released with online play on PSN/XBLA. I would be so happy if that happened.

XboxEvolved
09-10-2009, 03:03 AM
Like I said, pretty sure I read back in the day in ODM one of the NFL 2K games outselling Madden on either PS1 or PS2 at one point.

Like I said, EA supported 3DO and where the hell did that go? Like I said the likely culprit to it's demise was Sega itself.

Kiwi
09-10-2009, 03:04 AM
You like saying things.

Hisham
09-10-2009, 03:07 AM
Like I said, pretty sure I read back in the day in ODM one of the NFL 2K games outselling Madden on either PS1 or PS2 at one point.

Like I said, EA supported 3DO and where the hell did that go? Like I said the likely culprit to it's demise was Sega itself.

NFL2k5 was the only time that the Sega Sports series ever outsold Madden.

http://xbox.joystiq.com/2007/01/31/nfl2k-rises-from-the-ashes/

And that was only because Sega decided to appeal to value and drop the initial price of the game...

EDIT: And coincidently enough, EA decided to lock up the NFL license and become the sole maker of NFL games, probably because of the ballsy move on Sega's part.

Carlos
09-10-2009, 03:58 AM
You like saying things.
No shit.

XboxEvolved
09-10-2009, 04:10 AM
Hisham that is what I was thinking of. So yeah NFL 2K never outsold but oh well still was a much better game at the time.

Pro A.
09-10-2009, 05:06 AM
Sega's infamous knack of bad timing is what killed them. The Saturn got released too early and Sony was able to chop the system off at the knees with a more attractive price and a stronger lineup of games. Sony pretty much did the same thing to them again, and with the mass amounts of money Sega lost hocking crap like the 32X the second beatdown was far too much for them to endure, even though they put together their strongest lineup in just 28 months than they did for all the other systems put together.

HPK
09-10-2009, 05:08 AM
NFL2k5 was the only time that the Sega Sports series ever outsold Madden.

http://xbox.joystiq.com/2007/01/31/nfl2k-rises-from-the-ashes/

And that was only because Sega decided to appeal to value and drop the initial price of the game...

EDIT: And coincidently enough, EA decided to lock up the NFL license and become the sole maker of NFL games, probably because of the ballsy move on Sega's part.

Not only that, but it was because the ESPN games were ranked better than the Madden games that year. Not willing to be bested by those games (which were about $20 I think), they got the exclusive rights to all NFL games.

I'm pretty sure the Dreamcast died because of its ridiculously high production costs. When the thing was selling for $200, it didn't crank in any profit. Even at the lowered prices it had, it was never quite able to gain anything from it.

The Dreamcast was still fucking awesome, though. I loved that damn console. A lot of good games were on there and the whole things felt pretty unique. Of course, a lot of the games were ported to other consoles, but the Dreamcast was a lovely system.

Hisham
09-10-2009, 07:12 AM
I'd like a link on that...

I'm pretty sure the dreamcast didn't have that high of a production cost seeing as it was just a modified version of the Sega NAOMI arcade board. And in terms of buying a Sega Naomi arcade board (just talking about the board which plays the GD-Rom's, not a full blown cabinet) was pretty cheap. It is why you still see the games from that arcade board still around (pretty much any dreamcast game which was on the arcade was a Naomi game). And it is why that arcade board is still used for games like Melty Blood and Akatasuki Blitzkampf.

XboxEvolved
09-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Yeah the production cost had nothing to do with it and Im pretty sure they made profit off of selling it pretty quick. What killed it was the fact that SOJ and SOA had two different plans of what to do constantly, it didn't help that the President of Sega resigned the day before DC was launched either. Also they didn't push it well after the first holiday season it was out. Me personally, I didn't even see what was so special about PS2 (even after buying one in early 2001) other than DVD until around holiday 2001, wheras Dreamcast kicked ass from the start.

Suzuki_Fanboy
09-10-2009, 02:03 PM
i'm telling you, the reason was that ps2 had a DVD player and poor marketing (SOA was never good at that). casuals waited for the ps2 because DVD was still a fairly new tech at that time so people (casuals) bought it over the DC. i think the gamecube suffered because of this as well, but nintendo has better marketing (and more money) so they didn't die.

that's my 2 cents, at least.