PDA

View Full Version : ArmA II - Successor to Operation Flashpoint & ArmA, by Bohemia Interactive

curryking1
07-06-2009, 11:35 PM
I don't know how to start this thread, so I'll let wiki do the honours! XD

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/bc/Arma-2-cover.jpg/256px-Arma-2-cover.jpg (www.arma2.com)

*CLICK BOX TO HEAD TO OFFICIAL SITE*

ARMA 2 (often incorrectly referred to as Armed Assault 2)[7] is a military simulation game for the PC developed by Bohemia Interactive Studio. It is considered the spiritual successor in the Operation Flashpoint-series following its predecessor, ArmA: Armed Assault (ArmA: Combat Operations in North America). ARMA 2 was officially announced on August 22, 2007 at the Games Convention in Leipzig, Germany.

ARMA 2 is a tactical shooter with significant vehicle and aircraft elements. The player is able to command AI squad members which adds a real-time tactics element to the game. This is further enhanced by introduction of the high command system, which allows the player to command multiple squads using the map. ARMA 2 is set primarily in the fictional Eastern European nation of Chernarus, (meaning "Black Rus’"). The Chernarus landscape is based heavily on the Czech Republic, the home country of the developer. The original Operation Flashpoint (OFP) was developed by Bohemia Interactive Studios (who own the Real Virtuality engine) and published by Codemasters (who own the Operation Flashpoint brand). ArmA and ARMA 2 are the technological successors to OFP. Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising is Codemasters' independently.

I've been looking forward to this for a while, I'm excited to see how their third instalment will improve the game. This and Street Fighter IV PC just completely surprised me with their release dates. I found out today both of them are tomorrow hahaha.

Apparently it's already out in EU, and it comes out in NA tomorrow, July 7.

I haven't read anything in a while on the console versions which were rumoured/reported to be on the way as well.

I think jaxmkii may want to take this for a spin btw, considering it's both a good stress test for a beast of a PC, and it's military simulation at it's finest. :)

Whoops... forgot about all caps in titles... lol.

Kiwi
07-07-2009, 01:30 AM
Is there a single-player demo anywhere? I found a demo on the official site, but it's only a multiplayer demo?

curryking1
07-07-2009, 02:18 AM
I guess that's all there is if that's only what's available on the official site.

The game is meant for multiplayer though. I had no idea there was a demo, I would've got that before.

masteratt
07-07-2009, 04:04 AM
The demo is single player Matt.
Go to official site- http://www.arma2.com/ and on banner far right, just get demo.

Demo is also available on Steam.

I pre-ordered this game (yes 100%legal!) as I thought the devs deserved it.
My luck turns out it runs a bit laggy on my setup due to dodgy AI scripting (hogs too much CPU resource) but these guys always support their game until an ant in a hole can play it so it's all good, just a bit of waiting.

The game, I only done two missions but is one of the more exciting FPS games.
You know it's going to have immersion when training takes you 3 hours to pass properly :p
Not for old folks or ones with a weak heart.

If you thought games were getting too easy (i.e: 90% of gamers), and you like FPS games (i.e: 90% of gamers) then you should definitely buy this.

Methusaleh
07-07-2009, 04:23 AM
I gave the demo a whirl a few days ago. Ran it at all max settings without issue. Very similar feel to Operation: Flashpoint, right down to the voice "acting." This is a serious simulation and much overdue IMHO.

masteratt
07-07-2009, 04:27 AM
^ You are lucky man.
I was going to upgrade my PC just for this game (lol) but didn't have the moolah.

And yeah that reminds me, voice "acting" is very very very very very bad.
Almost ruins the whole game but as Methusaleh said it is almost identical to Operation Flashpoint so if you could put up with it there, you can put up with it here. Plus this is a better game so it makes it easier to do so.

Kiwi
07-07-2009, 04:29 AM
The demo is single player Matt.
Go to official site- http://www.arma2.com/ and on banner far right, just get demo.

Demo is also available on Steam.

Crap, I forgot I had Steam!

*goes and downloads*

I hope my laptop will run this.

Edit: It does, very badly. Shame, the vids looked cool.

Segitz
07-07-2009, 09:47 AM
It runs quite good on my pc (the demo, that is)... God, I loved Operation Flashpoint :D

Will wait for it to be on sale and grab it!

masteratt
07-07-2009, 10:55 AM
^good by then it should be "perfectly" patched. one patch already improved my performance greatly (couldnt even turn on AA before it) so more patches are sure to make everything awesome.

And curry:

Whoops... forgot about all caps in titles... lol.
You can edit your titles now :)

curryking1
07-07-2009, 01:28 PM
^Ah, thanks for letting me know :-)

Great there's excitement for this! Those of us who are pwn-pwn enough to get it running at least a little bit well, we should all play a game sometime :-)

Just read eurogamer's quote on this...

"It's Oblivion with assault rifles."

Loollll. Funny and obviously addressing the size of the game (which is way bigger than Oblivion btw), but probably a bit inaccurate though for most other things.

masteratt
07-07-2009, 01:51 PM
i wasn't too fond of that quote either but it makes more sense as you play.

Kiwi
07-07-2009, 02:03 PM
I updated the drivers for my graphics card, and it runs a tiny bit better. But I have to put the settings onto Very Low to be able to play it without a ton of lag :(

curryking1
07-12-2009, 04:58 PM
i wasn't too fond of that quote either but it makes more sense as you play.

Haha, I was aware of the dialogue workings and stuff in ArmA II. It does make sense in a way. I definitely know what you mean... it sort of applies... but then it sort of doesn't... it's too superficial of a comment for it's own sake.

ArmA II is just a beast of a simulation, and Morrowind, I mean sorry Oblivion, is just Morrowind.

I'm probably going to be getting the multiplayer demo soon, so if anyone else still has it installed or is going to download, I should be up trying it out in a day or two :-)

I can't really put this into the scope of a game for myself... my mind is turning it down lol. I guess online it's like Battlefield 2 without limits... haha. Must be sheer madness... I just know I'm going to be destroyed as soon as I get online by mortar fire or a bullet from 500m away I just never saw coming...

Edit - Here is a quote I'm sure is much more in tune with the game :-)

In an age where most developers are reaching out to embrace casual gamers, ArmA II is something of a refreshing exception. It is unashamedly ambitious in its design and execution, embracing rich complexity at the expense of accessibility.

http://www.videogamer.com/pc/arma_2/review-2.html

Edit - After I get this game I think I'm pretty much covered for hardcore modern tactical shooters with the smaller, CS-like competition in SOCOM and the uber-tactical and hyper-realistic ArmAII lolz.

curryking1
07-12-2009, 05:14 PM
SSKIgfdg7fY

^Basic controls walkthrough from the official site here (http://www.arma2.com/).

Edit - Fixed the link, oops lol, had the whole youtube link in the youtube tags by mistake.

I'll write some notes for anyone who doesn't feel like watching right away.

-MOUSE to look, WSAD to run
-entire body always present in the game, your body and weapon are always fully simulated in the game like the previous ones
-all controls modifiable in menu of course
-hold SHIFT to walk

-3rd person camera always available in singleplayer and on some multiplayer servers
-in some aspects a third person view is more realistic than a first person view 1. in the real world you have much broader peripheral vision 2. like in real life there is the ability to see and feel what is around you

-holding ALT will allow you to move in one direction while looking in another, named Free Look, relevant because keeping situational awareness crucial in the game (my note: turning left to right in this game constantly is much slower)
-click C to stand, X to crouch, Z to prone, you may still move, crouching or prone makes you a smaller target, your weapon more accurate

-double clicking vs. holding buttons provides different functionality e.g. double clicking SHIFT will toggle walking vs. running, holding shift will walk and releasing will bring you back to running
-double clicking vs. holding Q will similarly affect lean left behaviour, same applies to E

-no jumping, only vaulting over low obstacles
-stamina influences precision, decrease stamina by running
-hold RIGHT MOUSE to hold breath and zoom in/aim for accurate shots
-click RIGHT MOUSE to use iron sights/scope, you cannot run while scope 'it is not possible to run, because of course in real life you would injure your eye running with the iron sights close to it'
-it is not possible to run and reload at the same time, reloading will slow you character down

-click Q/E to roll left/right, you may also flatten grass in this way so it does not obstruct your view

The guy narrating is awesome. I want to buy the game just because of him, and I already want to buy the game because of the game itself :-)

Kiwi
07-13-2009, 12:50 AM
Here's a showcase of how good the AI can be

RvfM_f9zjUI

:laugh:

Seriously though, watching some of the videos of this game on YouTube makes me want to build a beast of a machine just so I can play it.

curryking1
07-13-2009, 12:54 AM
:crazy2:

That was so pro!

OMG i'm actually lol'ing pretty hard hahaha.

masteratt
07-13-2009, 01:57 AM
See the problem there is there is no script for the AI if anything is blocking the runway. Or maybe there is script and it told it to go run off the runway to the trees LOL

Either way it should be tweaked so it...Slows down I guess? Would that be possible if it's very high speeds but not high enough to take off?
I'm pretty sure there is something better to do than just slam into the trees (ps: LOL) but can't think of anything right now so maybe the AI is good.

curryking1
07-13-2009, 03:39 AM
Why not just run over the guy?

Plane: let's say... 8,000 kg? Person: 80 kg?

Plane wins :D

See, if it's a tank, I think the AI should just gtfo of the plane. Really it's either you:

1. follow the instructional video and crash your plane into the trees or

2. stay in the plane and watch it get shelled close distance using a 10 cm wide artillery shell or

3. gtfo out of the plane and run like Forrest

I'd do three personally if it were a tank.

Kiwi
07-13-2009, 04:02 AM
eZ_IlKiRxMs

This guy has a bunch of other ArmA 2 vids on his channel, most of them in lovely HD :D

As for the game itself:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_u-8jsnr-IjE/SbbkoehtZkI/AAAAAAAACzw/J8UDXGq-yAs/s400/do_want.jpg

curryking1
07-13-2009, 04:37 AM
^Looolllll, wtf with the raping cows with lead, wow... lol.

Some more 'WTFBBQ' courtesy ArmA II and it's fans... who are already tearing apart the game and rebuilding it I'm sure haha.

khG8pVEmzO4

Errrrrrrrrrr..... Lolz? :D

Computer and Videogames review (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=217542) is really spot on btw. Very straightforward, even if the writing is a little spotty :P

I ***king love this game before I even have it.

I feel like now I'm looking forward to a PC game. This is something only possible on PC and something you'll only get on PC. It's technically mindblowing and ***king mad hardcore.

***k yeah. Only wish Bohemia could streamline it more. Someone ought to fund these guys with 20 million pounds! :D

The Eurogamer review (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/arma-ii-review) is actually very good also. Go for the CV&G one for something a lot more specific. The Eurogamer is just fun to read and as good, just less specific.

Some sniper shooting...

MLGXIH02Nw4

Some aircraft driving...

MOSQbXn6jQw

And how can we forget Wagner in all of this?

bvaB7l7SaEE

Kiwi
07-13-2009, 05:00 AM
I actually spent the last couple of hours flicking through a component website so I could make a list for a custom-built PC.

I shall have this game... ONE DAY!!

curryking1
07-14-2009, 11:08 PM
I fail at ArmA.

My PC can't handle it in the way it probably needs to be played lol.

Extremely intensive game, wow.

masteratt
07-14-2009, 11:10 PM
Might not just be your PC, don't lose hope.
They said patches will improve performance further.

When the game first came out you couldn't even turn on AA and put Terrain Detail on High.
1st patch fixed all that.

So every patch = better performance.
I bought the game and am waiting for more patches just so I can play smoother with my satisfactory graphical detail lol. (typical PC gaming).

curryking1
07-14-2009, 11:13 PM
When the game first came out you couldn't even turn on AA and put Terrain Detail on High.
1st patch fixed all that.

I guess it's kind of hilarious to say... this exact problem is in ArmA II hahaha.

That's good news. I won't kick the bucket on this one just yet.

The game is terrifyingly and ego-drop-kicking-ly slow right now. I dunno if that means unoptimized, if there are memory leaks--I feel there could've been a number while I was playing--or it's something else, but I was really bummed out with the performance I was getting during gameplay of the singleplayer.

The tutorial sets ran fine at least at good settings, I had a good time with them actually.

masteratt
07-14-2009, 11:14 PM
I WAS talking about Arma2.....:/

curryking1
07-14-2009, 11:16 PM
Oh jeez... :crazy2:

Ahhaha.... oops? :P

Kiwi
07-14-2009, 11:18 PM
I know quite a few people who played the first game, one of them even created a pretty popular mod for it. They've said that the best time to get the game is in another 6 months to a year. Apparently, it took Bohemia just under a year or so to patch all of the problems that the game had.

curryking1
07-14-2009, 11:21 PM
This is one unexpectedly unorthodox schedule... lol.

Oh well, at least now I know :P

Kiwi
07-14-2009, 11:39 PM
So, does anybody want to donate roughly £970 so I can buy the PC that will play this game? :-D

curryking1
07-15-2009, 03:09 PM
I'll lend you.... 5.

Just kidding! XD

jaxmkii
07-18-2009, 07:40 PM
finally a game to test the quadgpu

curryking1
07-20-2009, 03:28 PM
^This game seems more CPU intense than anything.

It's making me want to splurge 300 on an i7 920 lol.

jaxmkii
07-24-2009, 06:50 PM
^ yea got that too

masteratt
07-24-2009, 09:24 PM
Still waiting for another patch to play it more smoothly lol http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/whistle.gif

Kiwi
07-24-2009, 09:53 PM
So is it really laggy at the moment? Or is the AI still a bit off?

masteratt
07-24-2009, 11:49 PM
It's very playable but combination of AI script CPU hogging and a untweaked engine gives it a bit of a 'sluggish' feel.
It's mainly the AI though I think....Like in training and free mode where there is no AI, I can run everything on High with hardly any lag at all.

It's just when AI, mission goals, voiceovers etc come in to it, all of that takes a bit too much out of the performance but they said like with ArmA1 they'll continuously improve the engine performance with every patch.

curryking1
07-25-2009, 03:02 AM
I literally can't play the game. I get to this city (which is a hotzone, the enemy has basically put up forces within this port city and the US forces are on the offensive from land, sea, air) and then every second of gameplay is accompanied by five seconds of loading buildings, textures, and mismanaging CPU resources for infantry 10 kilometres away.

It's ***king annoying as hell, because I really want to get down to playing the freaking game.

Obviously when there is less on screen or in the world, it's working properly, but ***k me if something isn't terribly wrong when the scale increases.

masteratt
07-30-2009, 10:59 PM
^Wait for patches or play online.

I've played online on all graphics High/ Very High with no problems (well, occasional frame rate drop but no where near as drastic as SP).

Did a near 3 hour co-op mission online, this game is fun as heck.

Kiwi
08-05-2009, 09:44 PM
New patch out (http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1393212#post1393212)

curryking1
08-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Jeez... I tried the patch and got an 'Error compiling Pixel Shader ______' thing. Game wouldn't even start :/

My graphics drivers are up to date, and so is my DirectX. Not going to bother now though. Haven't been able to play the game in a while anyway.

masteratt
08-06-2009, 05:06 PM
^Go revise for your exam, forget games!! :mad:

Patch didn't do anything for me performance wise :(
Not that bad since it ran OK anyway but I was hoping it would get a bit smoother.

It's all good though. Tried one of the scenarios yesterday. I died! :-D I love this game.

Kiwi
08-13-2009, 08:34 PM
ARMA II Operation Arrowhead Announced

Bohemia Interactive announces ARMA II Operation Arrowhead, a standalone expansion for ARMA II, the military shooter sequel. The project does not yet have a release date, but Bohemia Interactive states it "is fully committed to supporting the existing ARMA II user base whilst also working on the expansion pack." A couple of images accompany the annoucement, which outlines the game's central Asian setting and a bit about gameplay:

Prague, Czech Republic, August 13th 2009 - IDEA Games and award winning independent development studio Bohemia Interactive announced today the development of ARMA II Operation Arrowhead; the standalone expansion pack to ARMA II, one of the most anticipated sandbox PC military simulator of 2009.

Three years after the conflict in Chernarus, portrayed in the original ARMA II, a new flashpoint in the Green Sea region heats up and coalition forces led by the US Army are sent to Takistan to quickly restore peace and prevent further civilian casualties.

Set into the new, visually attractive environment of hilly central Asia, Operation Arrowhead will offer realistic combat simulation experience in a modern day setting with unprecedented freedom of movement, actions and tactics. Players will enlist into various roles within the US Army, from basic infantrymen, through special operatives, to pilots and tank crew in this new installment in the award winning line up of military simulators for PC from Bohemia Interactive.

ARMA II Operation Arrowhead will be presented during the Gamescom; trade fair for interactive games and entertainment in Cologne, Germany 19th - 23rd August 2009. Visit us at our stand in hall 4.2, stand no. L034.

"Bohemia Interactive is fully committed to supporting the existing ARMA II user base whilst also working on the expansion pack, this will not only allow us to introduce a new and original theater of war to the simulation series, but also improve numerous areas of the core game, for both the original game and the expansion, where we can go even further with adding completely new features" said Marek Spanel, Bohemia's CEO.

masteratt
08-13-2009, 10:48 PM
Usually I would scream FIX THE CORE GAME FIRST!!! edit-(actually come to think of it it's not that broken, just needs optimisation)

But for some reason I trust these guy...If they say they are juggling two projects at once, they are freakin' juggling two projects at once!

Also modern eastern warfare is more fun than a jungle setting for me (MGS3 the only exception).

curryking1
08-14-2009, 07:05 PM
Usually I would scream FIX THE CORE GAME FIRST!!! edit-(actually come to think of it it's not that broken, just needs optimisation)

Lol, same response here almost.

But ya, I feel like these guys are just doing what they need to survive. They need the money really and I don't feel like they are trying to take advantage of ArmA owners.

jaxmkii
09-12-2009, 02:46 AM
ok sooo...

I can run the game with all setting maxed out with the veiw distace set to 10,000 meters and still hold 80-140fps @ 1920x1080... but dispite all this the game is unfortonatly broken for me...

every 1-3 min the screen goes black for me leaving only my hud visable durring gameplay im sad to say it ruins it for me. im playing it using a freinds steam account im going to buy a hardcopy ASAP but im afraid the hardcopy will have the same problem.

any ideas?

Kiwi
09-12-2009, 02:51 AM
What are the PC specs?

jaxmkii
09-12-2009, 02:59 AM
What are the PC specs?

well the importaint parts are...
a i7 octocore 2.66ghz
12 gigs of patriot ddr3 1333mhz (or was ir 1666mhz?)
and a pair of ATi 4780x2s in crossfire
on asus's flagship MB.

Kiwi
09-12-2009, 03:13 AM
I've heard that there are a lot of graphical problems with the ATI 4800 series cards, as well as systems like yours that have a huge amount of RAM (possibly a 64-bit thing). I guess the best thing to do would be to post the problem, preferably with some screenshots, on the Bohemia Forums (http://forums.bistudio.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9).

Kiwi
09-15-2009, 06:37 PM
From the Bohemia Forums

ARMA 2 PATCH 1.04
-----------------------------------------
Copyright (c) 2009 Bohemia Interactive. All rights reserved.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
-----------------------------------------
- ANY ORIGINAL VERSION OF ARMA 2 from 1.00 to 1.03 other than the Steam version, Steam users should use the auto updating feature instead (their game will not be playable if they apply this patch until they recover it again from Steam)
- DirectX 9 March 2009 is required and should be updated during the patching process automatically as needed or you can update your version of DirectX from www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/

IMPORTANT: This patch doesn't work with STEAM version. Use steam auto update feature instead if you own Steam version!

HOW TO INSTALL THE PATCH:
----------------------------------------------
- Run the patch exe to apply the patch setup automatically.
- It will install all content of the patch to the folder with your ArmA 2 installation (default is C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2 or Bohemia Interactive\ArmA2).
- Please note that it is not possible to rollback to a previous version after the installation of this patch, only a full reinstall of the game is possible, if you want to keep your previous version you may want to backup the entire game installation folder before applying this patch.
- It is not recommended to use any savegames created in versions 1.00 or 1.01, if you use a savegame from 1.03 some of the fixes may not apply to that game in progress until the beginning of a new mission.

================================================== ======
VERSION 1.04 HIGHLIGHTS
================================================== ======

* Mouse controls: Improved mouse handling and responsivness
* Stability: Fixed CTD caused by Voice Over Net when many players were speaking simultaneously and other stability problems
* Sound: Fixed speed of sould simulation and other improvements
* Multiplayer: fixed scoring, multiple mission parameters added and various other MP-related improvements

Patch is here (http://www.arma2.com/support/updates/file/211-arma2server_1_04.html?lang=en).

masteratt
09-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Oh thanks, didn't expect that lol. It's running excellently on my end (improved mouse responsiveness? wtf...that's an odd one).

I've been playing it most frequently in recent times. Did a tough as heck scenerio yesterday, lost all my team-mates (because they kept running in front of a fucking APC with a machine gun!), and I was injured on my torso (effects your movement) and had to complete the mission on my own, all scarred up and moving like a dead man. It felt awesome.

Anyway always good to have support even when you don't think you need it so kudos to the team.

jaxmkii
09-15-2009, 09:56 PM
no mention of improved support for Crossfire 4870x2s?