PDA

View Full Version : PS2 hype? What do you mean when you say that?

GCfanboy
04-14-2002, 06:16 AM
I do not understand, you say the hype killed the Dreamcast. What did they say in order to get people hyped and did they live up to that hype? I can't remember ever hearing "hype" that high that it'd kill the Dreamcast. Someone, explain.

dalejrfan13
04-14-2002, 07:03 AM
From what I have heard Saturn killed the Dreamcast.. I do not understand what you are talking about anyways.

Inaba
04-14-2002, 08:03 AM
PSX = Insane popularity

People get the notion that a PS2 would be infinatly better then any other console

DC comes out, Sega already having a bad rep

Companies ignore it, and only a select few play and enjoy it. Most people are waiting for PS2 no matter how good dreamcast games are.

PS2 release approches, hype builds more. Sony makes false promises (PS2 going to be $199! PS2 going to have high quality DVD player! PS2 going to be online at launch! PS2 going to have 66 Million polygons per second! Look heres 4 computers hooked up together to a HDTV, this is what we THINK the PS2 graphics will look like! etc etc) and promises revolutionary gameplay

DC popularity gets stunted as PS2 launch gets closer.

PS2 sells 1 million units on its first day in Japan. No killer ap, and lackluster games at launch, but sells one freakin million units.

DC is soon forgotten, Sega keeps popping out fantastic games that are thrown to the side like spoiled meat, PS2 makes turds and sells tons.

PS2 comes out in America, due to a shortage, PS2 prices on sites like eBay sky rocket. Everybody wants one, simply because they are hard to GET!

DC becomes even more forgotten, having to lower its prices just to keep in competition.

Sega tries as hard as they can, but PS2 is whipping them without even making good games. Whats worse, big names like Metal Gear and Final Fantasy are on the way and GCN/Xbox are now starting to loom on the horizon. Sega gives up, and goes third party before they spend yet another year in the red (they havn't made a profit since the Saturn days).

Saturn weakened Sega's financial state.

PS2's Hype crushed the Dreamcast.

Then after DC is good and dead, people say "Hey, DC is only like 25$ and the games are a nickel! Wow, these games are GREAT! I wonder why I never wanted to buy them... "

*PS2's cold blue light stares

"Oh... I remember now"
<hr>

*Sighs

And theres the horrible tale of the little system that could, but nobody gave a flying crap

*Hugs his DC and grumbles at his PS2.

dalejrfan13
04-14-2002, 08:14 AM
Great job posting that Inaba, that was a really imformative read. I loved the Dreamcast and I don't know why so many people ignored but I am glad Sega went third party because now Nintendo owners get great games such as PSO,Sonic, and their awesome sports titles. I am thinking about buying some Dreamcast games for my brothers and bringing it in my room for the heck of it.

Inaba
04-14-2002, 08:26 AM
Oh I also forgot to mentioned, as SOON as Sega mentioned going third party, most developers droped DC.

Half Life, Soul Reaver 2, and many otheres that were being developed for DC were suddenly canceled, and switched to being PS2 games.

DC is a great system, in some respects it has better graphics then PS2, and it has tons of great games (Sonic Adv 1,2, RE:CV, JGR, ShenMue, Crazy Taxi 1,2, Grandia II, Skies of Arcadia, PSO V.1, 2, Virtual On, Soul Calibur, House of the Dead 2, and many others)

Which reminds me, I need to import the European version of the DC ShenMue 2 still . . . since SOMEONE took my US version...

*Growls at his Ghost of Xbox Future

dalejrfan13
04-14-2002, 08:35 AM
Hmmm well I was doing a little research and check out what I found.

For as long as Dreamcast was out IGN gave it a total of 71 games worth a rating of 9-9.9. Now for PS2. They have gave it a total of 31 games worth a rating of 9-9.9 . Now that is a huge difference.

May I add that Dreamcast got 1 game worth a rating of 19 and that was Soul Caliber and PS2 has gotten 0 10's. Just thought you would like the info.

Invisible Hand
04-14-2002, 11:06 AM
PS2 hype was hurting the Dreamcast but I'm pretty sure it died because the arcade market was dying and Sega didn't have the money to support it any more. It would have made a profit eventally.

Lexx87
04-14-2002, 12:51 PM
The dreamcast was brought out at the wrong time, but it might have had a much b etter chance without the ps2 hype...I n ever had one but I feel sorry that it died

Saiyan_Bandit
04-14-2002, 01:23 PM
I have a question: when did the DC get SegaNet? Because, if it had come out the same time as PS2, DC might have crushed it.

BuzzBeerII
04-14-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Saiyan_Bandit
I have a question: when did the DC get SegaNet? Because, if it had come out the same time as PS2, DC might have crushed it.

If I remember correctly about a year and a half after the Dreamcast's launch, but I'm not quite sure. And I don't think it would've helped much, as a lot of games that were going to have online capabilities launched without them. :confused:

Inaba
04-14-2002, 07:16 PM
Actually Arcade machines still make tons more profit then console manufacturing. Console manufactuing is a complete profit loss, since your selling the hardware at a cost in hopes that you'll make profit through software 1st party sales, and 3rd party lisencing.

Unfortunatly, if your console isn't selling, and nobody buys its games because they are blindly following the competition, you can't make much profit.

Hence Sega giving up console manufacturing. They still make Arcade games.

X_revolution
04-14-2002, 07:38 PM
Dreamcast proves that it doesnt matter if u have great games, u can still fail.

Invisible Hand
04-14-2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Inaba
Actually Arcade machines still make tons more profit then console manufacturing. Console manufactuing is a complete profit loss, since your selling the hardware at a cost in hopes that you'll make profit through software 1st party sales, and 3rd party lisencing.

Unfortunatly, if your console isn't selling, and nobody buys its games because they are blindly following the competition, you can't make much profit.

Hence Sega giving up console manufacturing. They still make Arcade games.

Are you sure? I could have sworn that arcades were doing badly at the moment.

dalejrfan13
04-14-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Invisible Hand

Are you sure? I could have sworn that arcades were doing badly at the moment.
I know they are doing great in Japan but I don't know about America, I still play them though because they are fun and rather cheap.

Inaba
04-14-2002, 10:21 PM
They aren't making as much profit as they used to, but they still make profit. Console manufacturing however, makes none.

Saiyan_Bandit
04-14-2002, 11:07 PM
Maybe when the Triforce comes out some profits will be made

GCfanboy
04-16-2002, 12:59 AM
Well do you think they could pull another stunt like that again for the PS3 launch to eliminate other video game companies? Also, if they are so big why can't they just crush Nintendo and Microsoft out of the market with their business tactics?

Inaba
04-16-2002, 04:23 AM
Well Sega was in the red since the Saturn launched, meaning they had not made a profit in some years. Add that to bad public image also due to Saturn and all the failed upgrades for Genesis, and then to push the Dreamcast off the edge, an invincible wave of hype that would of been impossible to contend with even if Sega WASN'T poor.

Sega was also the only other person out there, Nintendo and MS weren't out yet. PS3 will more then likely be the 1st next next next gen console out on the market since Sega isn't around anymore :(

Nintendo, however, has made actually more money then Sony did in the last console war (even if they weren't the #1 console) so financial Nitendo as always is fantastic.

And MS... Do I really need to even say anything?

GCfanboy
04-16-2002, 10:23 PM
Nintendo, however, has made actually more money then Sony did in the last console war (even if they weren't the #1 console) so financial Nitendo as always is fantastic.
Dude, how did they make more money, there's just no way they could've? How did Nintendo make more money eh?

Inaba
04-16-2002, 10:33 PM
1. GBC, no competition, #1 selling "console" of all time
2. Nearly next to no Piracy
3. LOTS more 1st/2nd party software sold

While PSX outsold N64 both Game and Console wise, Nintendo made more PROFIT wise.

PSX's #1 hits were titles like MGS, FF, RE, etc. 3rd party, Sony only gets a small sliver of that money compared to Nintendo's Mario/Zelda or even Goldeneye/PD which Nintendo directly recieves most of the profit.

PSX also lost huge ammounts of money due to piracy, and they dont have any sort of competition for the handheld market (PocketStation wasn't even released in the US, and didn't sell well in japan after the Tamagotchi phase settled down, and the Pokemon phase kicked in)

I dont think Nintendo has failed to make a profit since the day Donkey Kong was released. Sega however has been going on for a few years in the Red

GCfanboy
04-16-2002, 10:40 PM
Nearly next to no Piracy How big of a factor is priacy?

Inaba
04-16-2002, 10:43 PM
Lossing millions of dollars.

GCfanboy
04-16-2002, 10:44 PM
Well dude, I'm sure that Nintendo will not have that advantage this round since they are dealing with regular plain 'ol cds like everyone else which is pirateable, right?

Inaba
04-16-2002, 10:48 PM
Actually its Nintendo's Priority* format, which to my knowledge isn't easily piratable much like Sega's GDs (unfortunatly Dreamcast could read CDs, which isn't the case with GCN which you can't even fit CDs into, and has no Modding ability yet (Just JPN/US mods)

GCN discs dont read in CD or DVD drives

GCN can't read normal CD/DVD format

CDs are too small in data storage (600MB), and too big in size, miniCDs have an even bigger problem in datastorage (200 or so MB)

EDIT: I think i mispelt that, its like Prepetory, Priaportary... argh... someone help...

EDIT2: Proprietary! SOmethign like that i'm getting closer

Invisible Hand
04-17-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Inaba
1. GBC, no competition, #1 selling "console" of all time
2. Nearly next to no Piracy
3. LOTS more 1st/2nd party software sold

While PSX outsold N64 both Game and Console wise, Nintendo made more PROFIT wise.

PSX's #1 hits were titles like MGS, FF, RE, etc. 3rd party, Sony only gets a small sliver of that money compared to Nintendo's Mario/Zelda or even Goldeneye/PD which Nintendo directly recieves most of the profit.

PSX also lost huge ammounts of money due to piracy, and they dont have any sort of competition for the handheld market (PocketStation wasn't even released in the US, and didn't sell well in japan after the Tamagotchi phase settled down, and the Pokemon phase kicked in)

I dont think Nintendo has failed to make a profit since the day Donkey Kong was released. Sega however has been going on for a few years in the Red

Nintendo also charge about twice as much in liscensing.