PDA

View Full Version : Please explain to me this online RPG thing

kuelnes
03-30-2002, 02:10 AM
Call me stupid. Call me retarded. Call me what you will, but I just don't get the online RPG gaming thing. I don't understand how it works. I wish to find out how it works, so that i may end my ignorance on one aspect of modern gaming. Please explain!

Urafaerie2
03-30-2002, 02:15 AM
Alright Im pritty sure this is it but, you create a character and go around doing quests and defeating enemies with others to get a higher level to show off and be the best, it gets addictive but you have ta pay like 10 bucks a month, so i am not doing it

RETARD (j/k)

Saiyan_Bandit
03-30-2002, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by kuelnes
Call me stupid. Call me retarded. Call me what you will, but I just don't get the online RPG gaming thing. I don't understand how it works. I wish to find out how it works, so that i may end my ignorance on one aspect of modern gaming. Please explain!

ditto. I don't get it either. Is there some kind of enormous ranking?:confused:

Urafaerie2
03-30-2002, 02:18 AM
I dont believe there is ranking, but you get known game wide by many people, and others want to fight with you if your very strong, (well thats how my friend does it is Ascerons Call)

Saiyan_Bandit
03-30-2002, 02:19 AM
I thought IGN Arena had rankings?

Urafaerie2
03-30-2002, 02:24 AM
I never used or even tried the IGN arena, i only use the Vestibule (noninsider) I mean if there were rankings in PSO then that would be very neat, but i dont think there is, never played it

DoomShroom
03-30-2002, 02:25 AM
I heard two different ways in paying online. One way is you pay for every game once a month, each game varying in price. One is if you join like you join when you get a new server like AOL or MSN. Some games are free to play and in some servers you can play for the free stuff and to get more benefits you need to pay like IGN. Connection speed will lower to probably 33.6k at the lowest if you go against someone with a higher connection speed. You also need a mouse and keyboard to play online games. I don't know a lot on how you play RPGs online but here what I know.

You can chat with the keyboard with another character.
You can make teams of people around the world and go against other teams or beat the game with teamwork.
You don't have to sit close to your friends.
You can probably trad customization items with a buddy.
You can probably help a person in battle.

Theres a lot but as for PSO I heard its like a Diablo type of gameplay making you make teams of people around the world to help you beat the game or go against other teams.

Saiyan_Bandit
03-30-2002, 02:26 AM
Uh-oh... is this the game that's using that ridiculous controller/keyboard combo?

Urafaerie2
03-30-2002, 02:27 AM
I think you explained everything Doomshroom thx for making mine much clearer:D

Urafaerie2
03-30-2002, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by Saiyan_Bandit
Uh-oh... is this the game that's using that ridiculous controller/keyboard combo?

Yeah but I dont think its that bad

Saiyan_Bandit
03-30-2002, 02:30 AM
I'm sorry, but it just looks...ugly. Ulglier than the N64 or original Xbox controllers.

Urafaerie2
03-30-2002, 02:32 AM
Its alright I think its not great but what else would you use to chat? it just saves time without switching controller to keyboard

Saiyan_Bandit
03-30-2002, 02:33 AM
I'd be nice if GC had an online mike, like the one DC had or XB will have.

Urafaerie2
03-30-2002, 02:35 AM
An online mic would own online gaming for GC

DoomShroom
03-30-2002, 02:39 AM
There will be a mouse and keyboard for you guys to buy. The controller/keyboard is like made by Sega and is optional to buy but you still need a mouse and keyboard to go online will because I don't think using the GCN joystick for arrow movements and keyboard for typing IM is going to be fun. Like Ura said its saves time thats the maing goal of Sega's controller/keyboard.

It'd be awesome for GCN to have FFXI. Then we could go against PS2 and PC owners. I don't know about Xbox owners though.

Urafaerie2
03-30-2002, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by DoomShroom
It'd be awesome for GCN to have FFXI. Then we could go against PS2 and PC owners. I don't know about Xbox owners though.

That would be sweet and PS2 RPG fans have nothing to talk about exclusive MUWHAHAHAH

Urafaerie2
03-30-2002, 02:44 AM
Hey wait this is a bit off subject but what happened to BigSky

kuelnes
03-30-2002, 02:54 AM
thanks for answering and explaining. i think that i may be beginning to understand, but i think i'll stick with good ole' single player RPG's anyway.

Urafaerie2
03-30-2002, 02:59 AM
Same here it costs money (console gaming) but there are upsides. *thinks about the Zelda game* ahh cannot wait...Good single player

Saiyan_Bandit
03-30-2002, 03:01 AM
co-op RPGs are starting to sound more and more interesting than my old Pokemon games...

Alex
03-30-2002, 03:02 AM
there is a difference between the bolshy multiplayer role fillying eegras and the malenky cooperative ones