PDA

View Full Version : THE LEGEND OF ZELDA - Character development?

Nintendo-4-ever
06-25-2004, 03:58 PM
Hmmm..... Oki, where do I start, the legend of Zelda has always been
my favorite game series.... (And Ocarina of time is the god.....). Anyway,
I love the games, and they in my opinion are near perfect.....
BUT! There`s jst one thing, Im missing from the Zelda games, and that is

STORY & CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT......

And when I say character dev. I don`t mean `Battle enemies and make your
character stronger` I mean, the development of characters in personality, and relationship..... I Mean, take the Final fantasy series for an example, what I love about the final fantasy games.... (Also my favourite game series). Is the development of the characters along the stroyline, how they intergrate with one another, and with the story line, something which I hate to say, at time LoZ lacks..... I mean for an example the relationship betweeen Zelda and link, or between other characters, it feels a little to shallow, if I may say so......
And I heard that the New LoZ game for the GC has a different producer, and Im hoping that although keeping the traditional Zelda style of story telling... (Which they should). I belive they should develope a more intergrated storyline, along with more complex characters and personalities.......

(A little more then, pass this, do this, and save the world...etc...etc,.... ALl I think, Zelda needs is that..... And that will make it the perfect game, that is only my opinion.....
What do all you think, do you think Zelda lacks this, or on the contrare.... Or do you just not care at all......

Anyway, with all respect to the game..... And I love it and will always love it anyway......

Notedog
06-25-2004, 04:03 PM
Yeah, all the Zelda stories suck, after the crappy gameplay, the story is something that reall needs to be improved.

Shayde
06-25-2004, 04:03 PM
KOTOR character development and voice acting + LoZ 1337ness (+lightsabers)= the greatest game ever made

Notedog
06-25-2004, 04:14 PM
Yeah, why are they so afraid to give the game voice acting? Can't they just let the other characters speak, and leave link mute?

Nintendo-4-ever
06-25-2004, 04:14 PM
KOTOR character development and voice acting + LoZ 1337ness (+lightsabers)= the greatest game ever made

Um.... I did not understand that.......

Anyway, I disagree in the sense that the gameplay was crappy, I think it has the best actaull game play and such ever! Like, I said I think they should keep the LoZ style for sure, Just patch up on the stroyline and character development...... (Voice casting like in Final fantasy X wouldn`t be wrong either......).

The_Cat
06-25-2004, 04:24 PM
I thought OoT had all of that...

btw welcome back Nintendo-4-ever

Nintendo-4-ever
06-25-2004, 04:29 PM
I thought OoT had all of that...

btw welcome back Nintendo-4-ever

Thanks Wilcat1081......

I agree in the sense, that OoT had it all, well ALMOST all, all i was missing was the more in depth development of Link and Zelda, I think they weren`t up to date with each other as much as they should be....... (I think more of a Yuna-Tidus thing would have been a good Idea, ok so maybe not for OoT It`s the best game in the world! And I`ll leave it at that! but, for this new Zelda GC2 , I think, it would be a very good idea......

Michael
06-25-2004, 04:32 PM
Oot was kinda wacky but had a serious tone after a while....but WW never got serious, do to the fact of the graphical style they choose, I mean...they put link into a cannon...another scene, when he made that temple arise, he flew throw the air and hit it face first...really...

alpha
06-25-2004, 04:37 PM
The WW had the most character development I think which was cool.

The problem about character development is first every game is a different link and there are few towns and such meeting people in order for that to happen.

I think maybe we should see new characters? I mean...maybe even playable ones. It's always good to go into another direction.

And also the problem with the Zelda series having character developement is because it would be somewhat weird to have each different (same looking) link with a different personality (which they should have).

Nintendo-4-ever
06-25-2004, 04:38 PM
Oot was kinda wacky but had a serious tone after a while....but WW never got serious, do to the fact of the graphical style they choose, I mean...they put link into a cannon...another scene, when he made that temple arise, he flew throw the air and hit it face first...really...

I think Nintendo did right in the wind waker, the game was meant to be more of a `FUNNY GAME` And wasn`t meant to be serious, that is why they have the more childlike Snes artstyle, it has to fit along with the storyline..... But anyway, aside for that, I think as I have said many times now, what is important, is the development of characters and to intergrate the storyline... While still managing to maintain the classic oldschool Zelda feeling..... While still incorperating new and fresh ideas......

Bloodman
06-25-2004, 04:40 PM
It's fine the way it is. Remember, the LOZ series is like a story book (meaning that the games are being read). If it turns into a FF thing with complex rolls then it will lose it's style. Voice acting is good though.

Nintendo-4-ever
06-25-2004, 05:00 PM
It's fine the way it is. Remember, the LOZ series is like a story book (meaning that the games are being read). If it turns into a FF thing with complex rolls then it will lose it's style. Voice acting is good though.

I beg to differ..... i think that developing the characters is in no way interferring with the barrier, being the old syle Zelda feeling, I don`t think they should change much, except developing the characters a little more, and maybe expanding the stroyline...... But still keeping to

" Go to temples and collect little shing objects to stop gannon" thing, that a classic Zelda game concept......

I love the Zelda series, a LITTLE more depth, as a fresh new concept... (Just like the wind waker graphics)... Is all Im asking......

Kliq
06-25-2004, 05:25 PM
I think a bit more depth and originality to the storylines would really help. Ocarina of Time had a pretty good one, the Shiek part really through me off.

Nintendo-4-ever
06-25-2004, 05:26 PM
I think a bit more depth and originality to the storylines would really help. Ocarina of Time had a pretty good one, the Shiek part really through me off.

In that sense I agree! Thats what im talking about more stuff like that!
I really hope this new Zelda game is going somewhere...Going somewhere good..........

Blaksmoke
06-25-2004, 05:35 PM
I suppose getting a little deeper in the storyline department wouldn't be too bad, and I agree with those who said voice acting for all other characters besides Link would be okay. In this new Zelda game, maybe we'll finally get to see Link show some emotion...

Nintendo-4-ever
06-25-2004, 05:38 PM
Right on! By the by, I was wondering, I`ve heard that the Japanese version of the Wind waker, had voice acting.... Is this really true....? (Trying not to stray off the subject, buit just wondering......).

alpha
06-25-2004, 06:36 PM
^doubt it

Nintendo-4-ever
06-25-2004, 06:49 PM
^doubt it

Oki, well thats a relief, i mean i panicked when I thought why don`t they have it in the european version......

By the way, come to think of it Link does talk in the european version of windwaker!!!!!!!!!!1

When you use the command melody to summon a statue then press R Links

Shouts : "COME ON! "

When i heard that my Jaw droped, and I fell to the floor thinking I was going to spaz out...Tne i talked to my therapest, who told me that it was just a HYA! KYA! KUJITSAI!!!! Sound that Link usualy makes.... but it sure did sound like a :

"COME ON!" To me.... Link spoke... And with VOICE CASTING???? Thsi is just not right.....

alpha
06-25-2004, 06:51 PM
woah...didn't know that.

Nintendo-4-ever
06-25-2004, 06:56 PM
I know that way like freaky sick...My Mom asked me If I had seen a Ghost when I droped the GC controler..... I said... "No, far worse! I heard Link speak!..." The she looked at me like..... (I think it`s time we should have a talk........

" You have to understand son, you are to attached to Nintedno and LoZ
When you were a kid and wanted to marry Zelda, I thought It was a phase.... But now"

" At Least they`re not like the ones that break your heart and LEAVE YOU, LIKE A GIRL WHO I LOVED DID TO ME!!!!!!!!!!! THEY DON`T LEAVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY DON`T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Ok, beg my pardon i should really calm down right now....Calm down....Calm down.......),.

Hey, is there anyone, on this forum, who lives in Sweden? Cause It`s Mid summer today! (As you probably know If you live in Swden)..... And as usual,. as with every mid sumer, it`s Raining...... Oki, sorry to stray off the subject Juast had to say that.......).

Oki focus N4E, back to the subject!

Blaksmoke
06-25-2004, 07:19 PM
Yeah man....you're flippin' out.

Nintendo-4-ever
06-25-2004, 07:33 PM
Yeah man....you're flippin' out.

I mean still, Link talking with a voice! tHATS THE WEIRDEST THING THAT HAPPENED SINCE MARTHA STUART! (If I may say so....).

Thordain
06-25-2004, 10:58 PM
I remember Link saying that, it bugged me at first, but then I thought it was really cool. And there was some seriousness in Wind Waker, I mean, the whole drama thing at the end (this is a spoiler, but you should've beaten the game by now) with King Daphne, that really tugged on some heart strings, even if Link just fought a giant Ganon puppet five minutes ago. But yeah, voice acting wouldn't hurt, but I think the current character development's fine.

OutlawAdidas
06-25-2004, 11:06 PM
First of all, they they did put voices in, they would need good voices. You can't have a person with a deep voice go in for Zelda. It wouldn't fit

R2D
06-25-2004, 11:23 PM
Hmmm..... Oki, where do I start, the legend of Zelda has always been
my favorite game series.... (And Ocarina of time is the god.....). Anyway,
I love the games, and they in my opinion are near perfect.....
BUT! There`s jst one thing, Im missing from the Zelda games, and that is

STORY & CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT......

And when I say character dev. I don`t mean `Battle enemies and make your
character stronger` I mean, the development of characters in personality, and relationship..... I Mean, take the Final fantasy series for an example, what I love about the final fantasy games.... (Also my favourite game series). Is the development of the characters along the stroyline, how they intergrate with one another, and with the story line, something which I hate to say, at time LoZ lacks..... I mean for an example the relationship betweeen Zelda and link, or between other characters, it feels a little to shallow, if I may say so......
And I heard that the New LoZ game for the GC has a different producer, and Im hoping that although keeping the traditional Zelda style of story telling... (Which they should). I belive they should develope a more intergrated storyline, along with more complex characters and personalities.......

(A little more then, pass this, do this, and save the world...etc...etc,.... ALl I think, Zelda needs is that..... And that will make it the perfect game, that is only my opinion.....
What do all you think, do you think Zelda lacks this, or on the contrare.... Or do you just not care at all......

Anyway, with all respect to the game..... And I love it and will always love it anyway......

I have to agree. The storyline in OOT was great and all, but that's ONLY because of so many twists and turn. And as far as waking the 6 sages goes.... I think Nintendo some of added more depth to it.

"I mean for an example the relationship betweeen Zelda and link, or between other characters, it feels a little to shallow, if I may say so......"

^^^^^ I'm not sure 100% what you mean by this but I think that's the way Nintendo wanted to portray Link. I think Nintendo wanted to give him this cold, cool, warrior/general, straight forward, non-talking, all action, look. They didn't want to make him into a lover boy AHAHAHAHHAAHAHAH :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

EDIT: And I don't think Nintendo will put in voices any time soon, even to small character. Because they many be small character's in one game but in the next they maybe BIG, like Link's brother or something. And to give a voice in one game and take it out in the next doesn't sound like Nintendo.

OutlawAdidas
06-25-2004, 11:39 PM
so when you say relationship between Link and Zelda, you wanted them to have sexual intercourse so show you that they bonded? ???

Thordain
06-25-2004, 11:45 PM
^ I wouldn't mind that.

R2D
06-25-2004, 11:51 PM
so when you say relationship between Link and Zelda, you wanted them to have sexual intercourse so show you that they bonded? ???

No but if it wasn't for the music I'd think Link and Zelda hated each other.......
Zelda: "give me the ocarina and let me bring you back in time"
Link: doesn't talk but the look on his face says "Ok, what ever."
Then Link (looking stone cold) says good bye to Navi ( would I thought was nice and heart worming).

OutlawAdidas
06-25-2004, 11:59 PM
Zelda was a ho. How come she couldn't turn into sheik when u were fighting Ganon, or using her magic as sheik

R2D
06-26-2004, 12:06 AM
Zelda was a ho. How come she couldn't turn into sheik when u were fighting Ganon, or using her magic as sheik

She was tooo scared and the fire kept her out, but realisicly I think Nintendo 64 didn't have the power to run 3 people fighting at the same time. And besides I think it was better that only link fought him, because if Zelda were to have helped then it would have been tooooo easy for a final boss battle. Now that I think about it, I remember Navi saying she wanted to help, but I don't remember seeing her in the fight.

OutlawAdidas
06-26-2004, 12:10 AM
Tooo scared. Yea right. You must remember, she was trained in all her Sheikness. She knew how to fight. They just did it like that

R2D
06-26-2004, 12:18 AM
Tooo scared. Yea right. You must remember, she was trained in all her Sheikness. She knew how to fight. They just did it like that

Yeah. Remember when Ganon is about to pop out and he makes a noise, Zelda screams then asks link to check what was that. She didn't help, cause she wasted her powers opening the doors. And plus the crystal that Ganon have her in may have taken away her magic. AND was saving up power for the final blow.

And speaking of Zelda, anyone know her last name ? some people say it Guru and something other wise. and what is link's last name ? and I know ganon's, it starts with a "D".

alpha
06-26-2004, 01:17 AM
The real question is who cares about what their last names are? PWN

R2D
06-26-2004, 01:33 AM
The real question is who cares about what their last names are? PWN

Zelda is my fav. game and I'd like to know all about it. And it sure would hurt to know.

alpha
06-26-2004, 01:37 AM
Lol do you actually lose sleep over what their last names could be? Just put their last names smith.

R2D
06-26-2004, 01:44 AM
Lol do you actually lose sleep over what their last names could be? Just put their last names smith.

Lose sleep ? NO. I was just sure the net for Zelda jokes and one said "you know you played Zelda too much when you put your name is Zelda Guru" And that got my thinking,,,,,, So I though and reseached it for less then 2 hours, now. No sleep lost, though thanks for caring. :)

alpha
06-26-2004, 02:57 AM
You're welcumed

OutlawAdidas
06-26-2004, 03:02 AM
well needs to know her last name for a reason. You can't make love to a blow up Zelda doll without knowing her last name!

:angel:

Messiah
06-26-2004, 03:28 AM
yes you can... :heybaby:

Anyway, i think that a little more depth and interaction wouldn't go astray. I mean, lets face it it wouldn't make it any worse. And voice acting, welll.....it can really stuff a game up if its shoddy, if its done right it could work though :)

OutlawAdidas
06-26-2004, 03:56 AM
but we shall see. Wait a min..... when was the last time you saw a black person in a zelda game? I'm not talking bout the Gerudos or Ganon...I mean a Black person

DankHero
06-26-2004, 05:14 AM
umm i cant ever remember one

OutlawAdidas
06-26-2004, 05:19 AM
This is bad.......very bad

Messiah
06-26-2004, 07:25 AM
hmmm maybe none exizt in links universe....maybe :)

R2D
06-26-2004, 11:55 AM
well needs to know her last name for a reason. You can't make love to a blow up Zelda doll without knowing her last name!

:angel:

Oh my God...... you people...... you say OOT is the best ever made. You say you are pro's when it comes to Zelda games, yet you don't even know Link's or zeldas last name.

Messiah
06-27-2004, 01:46 AM
What is it then.....Shmelda maybe?